Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2, Board of Education, BASIC Stamp OEM, L293D, Stepper Motor, and New Project — Parallax Forums

BS2, Board of Education, BASIC Stamp OEM, L293D, Stepper Motor, and New Project

idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
edited 2011-06-30 18:04 in BASIC Stamp
Hello Everyone

I need a quick fix for a new product that I am prototyping and I think I have it, but I just want to check with you guys before I start, because it has been a while since I played with my BASIC Stamp Discovery kit.

First off, I need to drive a fairly small stepper (NEMA 17), and I intend to do this with a BASIC Stamp and a L293D IC. Simple and basic stuff, yes I know. These are the components that I have on hand:
  • Board of Education with a socketed BS2 module
  • BASIC Stamp 2 OEM Module
  • L293D IC
Secondly, I need the driver to have a fairly small footprint, so here is what I was thinking. My plan is to program the BS2 module and then canniablize it from the Board of Education. Then I intend to add the BS2 module, the L293D IC, and the voltage regulator and capacitors from the OEM kit to a project board. I am thinking that is all I need or am I missing something?

Bruce

Comments

• $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2011-06-29 19:09
    Hello Bruce
    '
    This should do it.
    '
    I made some boards back in the day that wouldn't program the BS2xx stamps. I did make the removal of the Stamp easy just in case I wanted to change the program.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-06-29 20:04
    Sounds like a plan. See my small-footprint board suggestions at http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?125692-BYO-Board-amp-Cable&highlight=byo+board
  • idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
    edited 2011-06-30 01:58
    @erco - Thanks for the link. After checking out the schematic for the BS2, I see the BS2 module already comes with a voltage regulator, some I can keep my OEM kit in tact. That is good to know!

@__$WMc%__ - Hey Walt what's happening? Hope life is treating you well. Yea removal of the Stamp is important :) I was planning to add an IC socket for that reason.

As it appears now, all I need is two IC sockets, BS2, L293, power switch, power plug, LED, pushbutton, and a header for the motor connections. Hopefully I won't need to microstep to get the resolution I need, but I suppose a test circuit on the BoE can determine that.

Thanks Guys
    Bruce
  • idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
    edited 2011-06-30 18:04
    @icepuck - Thanks for the link icepuck, the was very informative and interesting.