Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PING))) - Moving sensor off board — Parallax Forums

PING))) - Moving sensor off board

jonarmanijonarmani Posts: 5
edited 2011-06-29 09:28 in Accessories
I just got a PING))) sensor with the two "sensors" (robot eyeballs, you know it to be true) -- For my project I (cosmetically) need the distance between the eyes to be separated by a tiny bit . . . maybe half an inch (am American, lol). Has anyone ever tried this? Because the other side of this board has some small chip instead of soldered wire ends. Would it be easier to tackle this from the other surface where the sensor attaches to the board?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-06-29 08:02
    The PING))) is not made to be taken apart. Be prepared to damage it in the process. If you're good at soldering and de-soldering, you'll know how to remove the transducers with the least likelihood of damage. If not, learn on something cheap or disposable first. There are plenty of web pages on "desoldering". Have the right tools, etc.

"has some small chip" ... yep. That's the way it's made.

"from the other surface" ... And how would you do that? The sensor is mounted flush to the board.
  • jonarmanijonarmani Posts: 5
    edited 2011-06-29 09:28
    Mike, thank you for your reply. I have very basic soldering/desoldering skills, so I'll just live with the spacing as is. ^_^