Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
UPENE 2011: Propeller based Robotics contest — Parallax Forums

UPENE 2011: Propeller based Robotics contest

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
edited 2011-07-05 11:44 in Robotics
Hey Gang! It's UPENE time again. (http://www.propellerpowered.com/expo)

Just like last year, we are going to have a attendee voted robotics contest!

The prize will be a Stingray robot with the new battery pack that Matt designed!!

Rules: Your robot must be propeller powered in some way. All attendees will be given the chance to vote on their favorite to win with the tally counted up at the end of the day!

You have around 60 days to get your robots ready!

OBC

Comments

• Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2011-06-27 12:06
    Addendum:

No bonus points will be awarded for shooting the staff! :):):)

OBC
  • schillschill Posts: 741
    edited 2011-06-27 12:09
    Addendum:

OBC

I was only involved in one discussion about that at UPEC. :)
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2011-06-27 12:23
    Hello Jeff,

I think there should be a couple changes from last year to make the process a bit better. There were robots that I didn't see at last years event until the end after everyone had voted. I'd certainly like to see all the options before.

Some suggestions:

- Robots should be Propeller powered to participate. Although, it might be good to open it up as 'Parallax powered' instead in case there are some great BS2 robots someone wants to show.

- There should be a robot roundup ahead of time so people can see all the robots before casting any votes.

- Before voting there should be a few moments set aside for those robot builders that want to speak about and answer any questions regarding their robots.

- If someone happens to have more than one different Propeller powered robot are the votes going to count toward the builder or specifically to a single robot? If someone has put more work in and shows a variety of different Propeller robots then I think they should count toward the builder. That gives the person more incentive to bring more projects to show and demonstrate. If the voting is only for specific robots then a builder may have two of his/her own robots completing against each other. In that case some projects get left at home.

- Voting should be done toward the end of the event.

I'd just like to get an idea on how things are going to go so I can plan on what I am going to bring.

Robert
    edited 2011-06-27 12:25
    Addendum:

OBC

That saves me from adding that option to my robot! Last year that seemed to win a lot of votes.
    edited 2011-06-27 12:30
    @RobotWorkshop:

These are GREAT suggestions and will be implemented! Mind helping me with this at the show? (No, it won't disqualify you!)

/me shutters from horror imaging having to duck flying saw blades and other projectiles.

OBC
    edited 2011-06-27 12:39
    Sure! I don't mind helping as long as you don't want me to be the Human shield...... ;-)
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2011-06-27 19:18
    Any way to enter remotely? I'd enter my robot arm.
    edited 2011-06-28 19:53
    I'm afraid it's live only, as attendees will be voting on the "Best of Show"

OBC
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-06-29 17:30
    @Martin: Ain't seen any progress updates/vidz of your arm lately. Wassup wit dat?
  • MicrocontrolledMicrocontrolled Posts: 2,461
    edited 2011-07-01 11:00
    A quick question: If I end up going to UPENE would my decked-out Stingray qualify for the contest? I wouldn't really care about winning, considering I already have one, but it would be fun to enter and I'm going to bring the robot anyway. Also, does the robot have to be automated or remote controlled, or does it matter?
  • Adam WieslerAdam Wiesler Posts: 81
    edited 2011-07-01 11:50
    @OBC,

Are you sure I don't get a bonus again? It was only a nerf gun I had on there last year. (This year im putting an airsoft on my winnings from last year :) )

Can't wait to see what people bring

Adam
    edited 2011-07-01 12:36
    @Adam, No bonus points... Laughs are always welcome! I'm a good sport!

All Propeller Powered robots are welcome to attend and compete. I'm not doing the judging, the attendees are, so you have to wow them, not me. Stingray is great starting point! Get creative and add some goodies!

OBC
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2011-07-01 18:22
    @Erco, at the end of April I made good progress at calibration by measuring the pulse widths for +90, 0, -90 for each joint, but I still hadn't pulled off Tower of Hanoi. Then someone quit at work without notice and May was a blur. I didn't have any extra programming oomph to work on it.

But in June a bigger disaster struck. I bought a used Android tablet and dove head first into learning it. I began my downward spiral of hanging out at XDA Developers, rooting my tablet, and playing Angry Birds in my spare time. The shame.

But I have mustered the energy to fiddle with the ColorPal, and this weekend I plan to use the propeller backpack I bought on sale with my line scan camera. So perhaps I can pull out of this downwards spiral.
  • jdoleckijdolecki Posts: 726
    edited 2011-07-05 11:44
    I dont know about shooting them

But I can run them over.

Picture 001.jpg
    640 x 480 - 104K