Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Kind of embarrassed to even ask this..... — Parallax Forums

Kind of embarrassed to even ask this.....

garnoldgarnold Posts: 12
edited 2011-07-15 12:39 in BASIC Stamp
So I bought the Home Work Board Rev B a while ago thinking I was going to get into electronics. Well with kids, family, work and life in general this got put on hold. I recently pulled out the kit and wanted to get into this but to be honest, I have no idea where to start? From what I have read this board is a good place to begin but there seems to be many other versions and is there a book or something? I have this board and a bag of parts and don't really know what to do first? I'm pretty excited to start but just need some help please. Thank you!

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2011-06-26 20:43
    I haven't used Basic Stamps for a while but I know Parallax has lots of information. You ought to look at this web page.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2011-06-26 20:46
    You'll probably also want to download the What's a Microcontroller? book. Look under Downloads & Resourses on this page.
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2011-06-26 23:39
    These books are great Stamp resources and will answer lots of project questions.

http://www.parallax.com/tabid/768/txtSearch/STAMPS+IN+CLASS/List/0/SortField/4/Default.aspx
  • Jimmy LiebJimmy Lieb Posts: 46
    edited 2011-07-15 09:38
    This is what I started with. I came into this hobby knowing no more that how to make circuits that anyone here would laugh at. Nine volt battery, Led, Resistor. and I had help picking out that resistor form the internet. no color codes for me. I knew almost nothing, and saw this kit in radio shack one day. (I was about 11, so yeah, pretty young.) I thought it would be a great way to learn about micro controllers, and it would be fun. Even after my parents warning me that it would be a waste of money because I wasn't old enough yet, I spent my hard earned $100, form taking care of the neighbors dog, watering the grass, and other household chores. After about a month of determination, I was making lights flash, motors move, reading photo resistors, etc... a year later, I had a very good understanding of it, being able to send serial signals, and the like. It progressed from there. now, I own 2 basic stamps, 2 propellers, The Boe Bot, A Propeller professional development board, Board of education. I have created projects reading RFID signals, Using the 4X20 LCD, and lots more. If I hadn't bought that one kit, I wouldn't even know that parallax existed.

Do you have just the Homework board, or a full kit? if you dont have a kit, this is the one I started with, as most everyone here did.

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/BASICStampProgrammingKits/tabid/136/ProductID/313/List/1/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

If you have everything except the book, here it is:

http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/139/Default.aspx?txtSearch=whats+a+

it is a great resource.

Good luck. If you have any questions, let me know! I would be more than happy to help.
    ~Jimmy
  • yurightyuright Posts: 13
    edited 2011-07-15 10:09
    If you are truly just starting in electronics I highly recommend visiting some of the websites devoted to basic analog circuitry as well. I started about a year ago with a box of old components I bought at an estate sale. I googled the part numbers and found out what they were called then googled the component names and found a goldmine of tutorials which explained in simple terms what these components did and how they could be used. I then started to build simple circuits on a breadboard using schematics I found on line. I just recently started working with Basic Stamp and it can't get over the power of those little chips. Anyway enjoy
  • Spiral_72Spiral_72 Posts: 791
    edited 2011-07-15 12:39
    Congrads! You're starting with good equipment. I'd add to that: an inexpensive DMM (Digital Multimeter) and a small bag of low current (30mA or less) LEDs if you don't already have them. The DMM is available cheap at Harbor Freight, Radio Shack and probably your department stores. The LEDs from Radio Shack are just satisfying visual affirmation of the program you just poked in. You could spend as little as $10 on the both of them.

It seems the "What's a Microcontroller" is a common way to start. Look over your wiring before you apply power, and don't make wiring changes or poke around with tools with the power on :) HAVE FUN!!!