Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
The Amateur Computer Club — Parallax Forums

The Amateur Computer Club

LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
edited 2011-06-26 10:25 in General Discussion
I was wondering what had happened to Mike Lord, who founded the British Amateur Computer Club (ACC) in 1973. I couldn't find any trace of him via Google, but I did find this site with many of the Club's newsletters:

http://www.smrcc.org.uk/members/g4ugm/acc.htm

They make interesting reading.

I must have joined the ACC in 1977, the newsletters look familiar. Following Mike's resignation a few years later, and a rather poor choice of editor, I offered to edit the newsletter, and did that for a year or so. I then became chairman for a year. I think it folded a year or two later because building computers at home fell out of favour.

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2011-06-26 10:15
    Everyone thought my ninth grade science teacher was so cool because he built his own computer.

My memory of it now is of it having rows of switches. Kind of like an organ console with all the register switches.

I think this was the '77-'78 school year. It sure impressed me as a 14 or 15 year old. (I think I'm younger than you are Leon.)

Duane
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2011-06-26 10:25
    At 69, most people are younger than me!

Switches and lights front panels are quite appealing, the ACC developed such a machine called the Weeny Bitter (see Issue 3, Vol 3). I think I used to know someone who built one. It would be fun to implement it on an FPGA.