Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Web Interface using BS2 — Parallax Forums

Web Interface using BS2

FalconFalcon Posts: 191
edited 2011-06-23 18:54 in BASIC Stamp
I have an idea for a project but would like opinions as to whether it may be possible with the BS or BSe.

I have sensors and microswitches on various doors and windows that I would like to monitor when I am not home. I need to interface these sensors with my router via Ethernet cable. Ultimately I'd like to have an app for my Android to give me real-time status and count. To start I'd like to just have the data populate a website that I can access online. Where many people want to remotely control devices at home, I want to to just the opposite.

I have some experience with the BS2 but know nothing about the Propeller series. I'm aware of the PINK and the Spinneret but the PINK is semi-obsolete and I do not know if the Spinneret is BS2 compatible.

I see some other Ethernet-based devices at http://www.beyondlogic.org/etherip/ip.htm but I do not know if they would interface with the BS2 or if they would do what I'm looking to do.

I have a friend that can help me with the code and website but he is not too familiar about the Parallax devices.

All opinions are welcome.

Falcon

Comments

• Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2011-06-21 17:32
    The technology is called Serial to Ethernet.

However, I'd go with the Spinneret. The Spinneret can talk to a BS2 through a standard serial connection. Plus the Spinneret will give you much more power and extensibility then a STAMP. I wrote some software where all you have to do is create a web page and a SPIN method with the same name to execute whatever logic. You just have to download the software.
  • FalconFalcon Posts: 191
    edited 2011-06-23 16:07
    Can you provide a link to that software?

Thanks for the reply.

Falcon
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-06-23 16:41
    Spinneret resources (including code) have links on the Parallax webstore page for the Spinneret.
  • Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2011-06-23 18:54
    @Falcon, Checkout the Spinneret forum too. There's a lot of demo code.