Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Vancouver Maker Faire - June 25&26 (BC, Canada) - it's over for this year — Parallax Forums

Vancouver Maker Faire - June 25&26 (BC, Canada) - it's over for this year

Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
edited 2011-06-27 21:24 in Robotics
Hi,

Anyone coming to Maker Faire?

I'll have a small booth there, showing RoboProp.

Bill

Comments

• W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2011-06-21 01:06
    I would like to but my passport is expired and I don't yet have the enhanced driver's license.

Rich H
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-06-21 08:09
    Good hunting! Here's hoping that Vancouver's Maker Faire fans aren't quite as "mispassionate" as their Stanley Fans are...

http://www.thepostgame.com/features/201106/vancouver-rioter-elite-canadian-athlete-makes-teary-confession
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2011-06-21 08:50
    erco wrote: »
    Good hunting! Here's hoping that Vancouver's Maker Faire fans aren't quite as "mispassionate" as their Stanley Fans are...

http://www.thepostgame.com/features/201106/vancouver-rioter-elite-canadian-athlete-makes-teary-confession

Good thing they didn't have cell phone camera when I was a kid. One doesn't earn a name like mine for nothin'.
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2011-06-21 08:53
    Rich:

Too bad you can't make it! Hopefully you will make it next year.

erco:

The riots made me ashamed to be a Canucks fan; however the riots may have been touched off by the regular "let's protest everything" idiots; the pictures of "I am here to riot" T-Shirts suggests that some idiots thought it would be a great idea to riot.

Mind you, I was not all that thrilled by the Canucks performance in four of the games in the series... they seemed to forget that you can't go wrong shooting at the net, and they should have been more physical in response to Chicago's going physical.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-06-21 09:04
    I'm in the same situation as Rich. But I've often wondered this: assuming you're a U.S. citizen who can get into Canada without a passport or gold driver's license, the U.S authorities can't really prevent your return, can they? Of course, you might be subjected to "enhanced" scrutiny and spend a little extra time as the "guest" of U.S. Customs, but in the end they surely must let you return home.

I nominate Rich to give it a try and report back here with his findings! :)

-Phil
    edited 2011-06-21 09:56
    Phil, I am sure you are right.

I suspect if you guys called border services they could tell you. I also suspect that birth certificate + license may suffice, and an expired passport would not hurt.
    I'm in the same situation as Rich. But I've often wondered this: assuming you're a U.S. citizen who can get into Canada without a passport or gold driver's license, the U.S authorities can't really prevent your return, can they? Of course, you might be subjected to "enhanced" scrutiny and spend a little extra time as the "guest" of U.S. Customs, but in the end they surely must let you return home.

I nominate Rich to give it a try and report back here with his findings! :)

-Phil
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2011-06-23 23:06
    Hmmm...Is this a BYORG event?
    edited 2011-06-24 07:52
    Well, I am taking two bots...

I'll report on how it went on Monday; I expect it will be a blast. I intend to take some video at the show so that y'all can see what it was like.

It sounds like it will be a yearly event!
    kwinn wrote: »
    Hmmm...Is this a BYORG event?
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2011-06-24 08:08
    If it is anything like the Maker Faire we had last year at the Henry Ford Museum near Detroit then you don't want to miss it!

Robert
    edited 2011-06-24 11:31
    Definitely... I will have to make sure I take some time away from my booth to wander around and check out what everyone else is up to!

I am attaching a draft of the sign for my booth ... printed 36"x24" for the final version.

sign.jpg

If it is anything like the Maker Faire we had last year at the Henry Ford Museum near Detroit then you don't want to miss it!

Robert
    800 x 533 - 136K
    sign.jpg 136.3K
    edited 2011-06-25 06:49
    I'm off to Vancouver Maker Faire!
    edited 2011-06-26 18:42
    Hi... Maker Faire closed 1h38min ago... and we just got home.

IT WAS A BLAST!

EVERYONE loved RoboProp and especially the LIDAR display!

It even looks like my products will get more than a bit of media coverage :) and I made many great contacts. I will definitely go back next year.

I did not get a chance to shoot any video, but fortunately my lovely wife took a few snaps of the Mikronauts booth that I will be posting later.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2011-06-27 21:24
    Well, I am taking two bots...

I'll report on how it went on Monday; I expect it will be a blast. I intend to take some video at the show so that y'all can see what it was like.

It sounds like it will be a yearly event!

I hope it won't be a yearly event in the sense that I meant BYORG when I posted it. Of course it could have been interpreted as "bring your own robotics gear" rather than "bring your own riot gear".