Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp and/or other Parallax product applications for signaling — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp and/or other Parallax product applications for signaling

Charles HaleyCharles Haley Posts: 3
edited 2011-06-22 13:19 in BASIC Stamp
Dear Folks,

I am new to Parallax and have a basic to intermediate electronics knowledge. I recently purchased the educational kit "What's a Microcontroller?" by Andy Lindsay. Is it possible to run a model railroad signaling system with the Basic Stamp technology/hardware and/or other products to suppor this task?
Signaling systems are similar to traffic light systems on the highway, but are sensor activated, without timers (in most cases). Input is provided from signal to signal, from electromechanical switches, from sensors (usually current sensitive detectors), and from manual "overrides". I know there's a lot of logic circuitry opportunites involved (if, then's, etc.). I hope to gain a couple of answers to help me in my persuit of controlling my signals.

Thank you.
Charles Haley

Comments

• UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
    edited 2011-06-19 18:04
    Hi Charles, this application has always been one of my favorites

http://www.parallax.com/tabid/309/Default.aspx

Jeff T.

Edit : Welcome to the Parallax forums
    edited 2011-06-20 06:02
    The above link does not seem to provide all the information try this one

http://www.buczynski.com/DnB_rr/DnB_Overview.shtml

Jeff T.
  • Charles HaleyCharles Haley Posts: 3
    edited 2011-06-20 18:35
    Hi Jeff T.,

How different from the info you lead me to is the solution when using PRR type position light signals (PLS) where the red, yellow, and green indications are provided by strings or "arms" of three yellow signals - horizontally, diagonally (lower left to upper right), and vertically respectively? Adding a second target could result in at least six aspects possible to display. Might this require two Basic Stamps to accomodate multiple aspects? I am thinking the 3 yellow LEDs in a row could be used as one of the colors of LEDs used in a searchlight type of signal....

Charles Haley
    edited 2011-06-21 18:02
    Hi Charles, how many position lights would you want. A Stamp on its own will only be able to control a few, Don Buczynski expanded his IO options with external logic, if you look at his mainline schematic you will see a good example. Not something I can give a lot of direction to but I know there are forum members that are very adept at using IO expansion to control LED arrays, hopefully someone can jump in and describe the options further.

Jeff T.
  • Charles HaleyCharles Haley Posts: 3
    edited 2011-06-22 13:19
    Hi Jeff - Thanks very much for the helpful info/suggestions. Right - maybe some others will contribute as well. I will further research Don's website. fyi - I could use the Stamp to support as many PL's as possible, hopefully connecting several Stamps in succession as the signals progress down the line/interlocking etc. IO expansion is of great interest to me as well. Again, thank you.

Charles (Chuck) Haley