Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Flow rate sensor — Parallax Forums

Flow rate sensor

woodheadwoodhead Posts: 5
edited 2011-06-23 04:59 in Accessories
Can i get flow rate sensor at Parallax? Use to measure the flow rate of water so that i can use it communicate with other to control flow rate of water

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2011-06-18 23:54
    This can be measured by the differential pressure of water flowing through a venturi, or the rpm of a propeller in the water stream.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2011-06-19 00:14
    There are plenty of sources for flow rate sensors of various types. Units using ultrasonic techniques are nice, because they don't have any moving parts and are easy to install.
  • sidecar-racersidecar-racer Posts: 82
    edited 2011-06-19 08:23
    Additional information that would be helpful;
    Do you want the "true" value of the flow or just an indication of change?
    How much flow are you looking measure?
    What conditions; open flow (in channel) or closed flow (in pipe)?
    I've worked on range from fuel injection (small) to 250 million gals per day (big). Each takes different ways of measurement.
    Rick
  • woodheadwoodhead Posts: 5
    edited 2011-06-21 08:06
    closed flow( in pipe), actually i just wan connect it to tap water, the flow will not much, i want look for cheap sensor to scan its flow rate and communicate with pic to control tap opener.
  • Capt. QuirkCapt. Quirk Posts: 872
    edited 2011-06-22 00:09
    You could make a sensor with a Sea-Doo replacement speedometer paddle wheel and the Parallax hall sensor. Calibrate gallons/min by measuring the time it takes to fill a bucket or pot of a known volume.
  • sidecar-racersidecar-racer Posts: 82
    edited 2011-06-22 11:40
    Capt Quirk's idea is a great one. Mount a steel propeller inside a piece of PVC pipe so that it spins with the flow and using same size pipe. Then you can use a Hall effect sensor on outside of pipe to count propeller blades, then calibrate as per Capt. Quirk's suggestion.
  • woodheadwoodhead Posts: 5
    edited 2011-06-23 04:59
    Thanks suggestion, whats of the output of parallax hall sensor? can it connect directly to PIC16F877A to get result? Is it every time hall sensor scan the steel propeller blades will generate high signal of output?