Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
2D Mini Plotter from DVD writers and with inkjet cartridge — Parallax Forums

2D Mini Plotter from DVD writers and with inkjet cartridge

hgabor47hgabor47 Posts: 10
edited 2011-06-28 12:24 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,
I am a programmer. I made a plotter from two DVD writers and with BS2, and some another components. My vision: simple but precise form, fast develop, free of charge or very cheep.

So, this is the solved product with full description, firmware (BS2), C# .NET high level test software.
And then an important thing. I would have liked it, my 12 and 10 years old children master it with this a little into the programming. Perhaps my blog will be showing that.

SITE: miniplotter.blogter.hu
www.hgplsoft.com

VIDEO [video]

....and I made two versions: VER1: from CDs (dc motors), VER2: from DVDs (stepper motors)

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2011-06-16 04:50
    Nice job. I couldn't read the text, but the pictures show the idea.

Bean
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-06-16 08:47
    Great job and nice re-use of hardware. I saw you made a bracket by bending a PCI access cover. And surely Matt Gilliland approves of this Inkjet Application!

Stored somewhere in my attic is my old Commodore 64 1520 ballpoint pen plotter. 4 color pens, long paper roll, it was amazing and cheap, like $40. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itu--nY-9bQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtdkYPWs0go&NR=1 pens hammering during text printing!
  • hgabor47hgabor47 Posts: 10
    edited 2011-06-16 13:16
    HI, thanks. My webpage has an automatic translate function in www.hgplsoft.com
    edited 2011-06-16 13:22
    wow, your application is nice too. I don't meet Matt, but look for information.. and I can see a book... I think you speak from he. Would have been better if I recognise this book before my project :)) Thanks
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2011-06-16 14:27
    Amazing! With additional documentation (perhaps an Instructable) I could see this becoming a popular project.

If I didn't have so many irons in the fire, this would make an interesting Propeller project as well..

/me adds this to his long list of propeller TODOs.

OBC
    edited 2011-06-16 14:46
    Thanks, I thought in the propeller but my children is young enough and I think they will be happy soon with a plain language and (with a small electronics :) ) . But everything changes from day to day, since they programming the plotter. Maybe, that this will be little for them already after a week ( but i don't think so :)))

An aggregated documentation is made already in addition to the blog.
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,934
    edited 2011-06-16 14:48
    Excellent work! Your blog pages are very detailed and impressive. Makes it easy for others to duplicate because so much detail is there. Here's how I read the article:

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fminiplotter.blogter.hu%2F

Google Translator does a pretty good job. It doesn't know what "r
    edited 2011-06-16 14:55
    :)))))))) Yeeee ... this is the Hungarian language :) "r
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2011-06-17 05:37
    Great project, blog and video! Thank you for sharing your work.
    edited 2011-06-17 06:20
    Hi all!

I thinking about the Propeller design :) so there are some ideas for involve the mechanics ( 3D and replace inkjet with another parts).
    edited 2011-06-17 06:20
    Very thanks Whit.
    edited 2011-06-22 21:58
    I tested the program (firmware) and found deficiencies in the subject line drawing. Of course, the line drawn in several ways. The BS2 is a multiple problem. One is that all arithmetic is only the second that all the numbers up. 16 bits.
    In addition, bottlenecks in the memory size.

In this round the problem of drawing a line in such a way that each line position, the plotter stops and creates an ink dot, and then goes on to the next position. This is quickly executed.

The error due to rounding, in fact 360 degrees opposite from 90 to 90 degrees in area of ​​fine-resolution area, and beyond that crude and imprecise. (Added to the program) does not sum up an appropriate program.

So.. Are there anybody, who has a minimal and correct solution this problem?
    edited 2011-06-28 12:24
    Hello,

I made a new basic stamp program ( firmware ) for Miniplotter.This version (v2) correct the line drawing method. The next step make the C# high level application for HPGL files and vectorization for bitmap files. The goal: a PCB layout direct printing.

:)

SITE: miniplotter.blogter.hu
    Download Firmware v2