Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Pressure sensors as altimeters: seeking your important customer input! — Parallax Forums

Pressure sensors as altimeters: seeking your important customer input!

Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
edited 2011-06-22 21:04 in Accessories
Hey there,

I recently attended a Parallax engineering meeting where one of the topics discussed was pressure sensors. Specifically, sensors that our customers could use as altimeters from sea level to 30,000 feet (or as high as you fly your rockets). Applications might include rocketry, quadcopters, UAVs or telemetry-related projects, or even Parallax Semiconductor application notes.

We're not interested in selling a paintball splattering of sensors and breakout boards to confuse our customers. We want to stock a few of them (maybe from the same family), document their use properly, and support them as well as the company who manufactures them with examples for our microcontrollers. Our value in the sensor business is to help our customers get up and running immediately, with high-quality hardware, and a "Tracy Allen" style scientific approach to calibrate and calculate the raw output into meaningful units. Smart sensors are also welcome, too. Quality and documentation are important in this case.

We would like to hear your suggestions for pressure sensors that we should consider stocking, as components or in a module format. Please tell us in this thread some specific manufacturers of your favorite barometric pressure sensors for the kinds of uses I described above. We'll get them into our inventory.

And most importantly: thank you!

Ken Gracey

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2011-06-15 19:10
    Ken, I don't have any off hand at this time but two things I am looking for are good resolution and digital output. I'll go through my notes to see what has interested me. I've been using the SCP1000 but it seems to be going away.
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2011-06-15 19:56
    Going in the opposite direction, pressure sensors for determining water depth and/or pressure sensors/switches for dealing with "household" water pressure might be useful.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2011-06-15 20:10
    I like the kind that have the hose connections on them. The potential applications are much greater when you can sample exactly what you want and place the ports exactly where they need to be. Airspeed and sensitive rate of climb (vario) would not be possible without the hose connections. Many other uses as well, such as stall detection, manifold pressure, liquid level sensor... and bump switches like those rubber hoses that you used to see at gas stations that go ding ding when you drive over them.

344c-01.jpg

Rich H
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-06-15 20:27
    This company's sensors look interesting:

I have some samples of the HP03M but never did anything with them. IIRC, the price was very reasonable, but they require a bit of external math to do the compensation calcs. 'Nothing the Propeller couldn't handle, though.

-Phil
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,658
    edited 2011-06-15 21:37
    I recommend the pressure sensors from Measurement Specialties, formerly called Intersema. Swiss precision! I think there are several knockoffs that have come out in the last couple of years.

Here is the list of precalibrated chips and modules, and you see there are absolute sensors for both altitude and depth. I have used the MS5534 and MS5540 and MS5541 with the BASIC Stamp. There is an object for the Prop in the OBEX. It needs a carrier board to adapt it for people who won't want to be troubled with the fussy surface mount package. You could make it really small though to fit into a nose cone. For the Stamp, I had to mount it on a board with a 3V regulator and level translators, and a 32kHz oscillator for its conversion clock. A Prop version could possibly consist of only the chip and a header, although it might be nice not to require the Prop to supply the 32kHz. The interface is standard SPI. The software has to read out the unique calibration constants that are stored in its eeprom and use those in the calculation of temperature and pressure.

Gage pressure is a more difficult for you to stock, maybe because there are so many possible ranges and applications. What application? It seems like questions about engine manifold pressure come up here pretty often. That would be quite a different beast.
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2011-06-15 21:52
    I don't know what range you need for altimeter/barometer use, but we have a product we build that uses Sensirion pressure sensors and we are very satisfied with the quality and accuracy.

On a side note, I would love to see two propeller based products that could utilize this type of sensor: a single board weather station and a rocket telemetry/locator board.
    edited 2011-06-15 22:32
    The necessary precision of any baro sensor will depend upon its application. For barometer and altimeter apps, 14-16 bits might be adequate, depending on the high- and low-end limits. For variometers, like those used by paragliders, 19 or 20 bits is about the minimum, IIRC -- maybe more.

-Phil
    edited 2011-06-15 22:36
    For a vario, if you use a differential pressure sensor where one side is open to ambient and the other side is open to a an enclosed volume of air with a small pinhole so that it is constantly equalizing, you do not need such high precision.

Rich H
    edited 2011-06-15 22:49
    W9GFO wrote:
    For a vario, if you use a differential pressure sensor where one side is open to ambient and the other side is open to a an enclosed volume of air with a small pinhole so that it is constantly equalizing, you do not need such high precision.

Ah, so! Something like this, IOW:

attachment.php?attachmentid=82205&d=1308203319

I like it!

-Phil
    353 x 174 - 1K
    edited 2011-06-17 09:22
    How small a pinhole? I'm unclear on how that would obviate the need for high resolution. Say a hang glider pilot wants to assess the strength of a thermal. Aren't they looking at an average over a time scale of 30 seconds or so? A pinhole or such could help smooth out natural fluctuations, but I don't see it as a variometer in itself.

These barometers take quite a bit of electronic filtering before their precision approaches their resolution.
    edited 2011-06-17 10:39
    No, you want an instant response. In order to catch the thermal you want to know as quickly as possible when you enter lift (or sink). Take for example my Ball vario, it is a small unit that clamps onto the base tube of a hang glider, if you hold it down low and quickly raise it above your head it will go beep beep beep beep. Faster beeps mean greater vertical speed. If you lower it quickly it will go boop boop boop.

Also see; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variometer

Rich H
    edited 2011-06-17 11:10
    Rich, thats a nice diagram on the wiki, that shows the pinhole and the vent for static pressure, with the bellows and mechanical amplification to the dial. I bet those are beautifully constructed inside. How sensitive are those aircraft units?

With the MS5540, I've done a program that graphs the immediate value against a filtered value, and that easily shows crossing lines as the barometer moves up and down. Beep boop beep boop? Like Phil's circuit diagram. The MS5540 conversion time is 35ms, so a 64 point average is only 2.25 seconds. Is that a reasonable response time? The new ms5803 is faster and also higher resolution.

The site ballvarios.com seems to be real estate?
    edited 2011-06-17 11:47
    This is the vario that I have. I'm sure that 2.25 seconds would be fine for a VSI but I think you would want < 1 second for a good vario. My vario is ten years old and it's response time is about one second.

I'm confident that the Ball vario does not use a calibrated leak as a method to detect lift but it makes sense that it would be easier to make an accurate vario using a differential pressure sensor that is very sensitive over a small range rather than pulling out the tiny changes in a sensor that measure from sea level to 50,000 feet.

My main point though is that the hose connection is very useful. Even if you were to make a vario with an absolute sensor you will get better results if you can place the static port in the best location AND these days you need to have a total energy probe anyhow which is basically a pitot tube - which necessitates a hose connection on the pressure sensor.

If there is no way to connect tubing to the pressure sensor, then the usefulness of said sensor will be greatly reduced.

Rich H
  • RS_JimRS_Jim Posts: 1,762
    edited 2011-06-18 06:51
    As a pilot, I tend to agree with Rich H. I cannot imagine flying a fixed wing without airspeed.
    Jim
    edited 2011-06-18 09:52
    Good points. Could you explain what is meant by "total energy probe"? Is that related to airspeed?

The new generation of absolute pressure transducers use 24 bit sigma-delta converters and achieve 0.01 mb resolution (=10cm alititude), and that is over the full pressure range of 10 mb to 1100 mb. Those do not cost any more than the previous generation of 14 or 16 bit converters.

It would not make sense IMO for Parallax to offer a differential (gage pressure) transducer, because there are so many different possible applications with different range and physical requirements. As to the tubing attachment, if it is an absolute pressure sensor, you mount it in the sealed box with a nipple of your choice and run the tubing from that. Granted, there is still the issue of absolute accuracy. .

The resolution at 24 bits is by no means equivalent to accuracy. The accuracy for run of the mill ($ to $$) transducers with basic temperature and linearity corrections comes out at the 1 to 2 mb level. Their high resolution is useful over a short term, such as you would need for a variometer or for a rocket flight. It becomes less useful over longer time periods as you'd need in a precision barometer or depth sensor. Government-type weather stations typically use something like the Setra 278, with an accuracy of 0.5mb at 20°C, and a precision (repeatability and long tern stability) less than 0.1mb, and NIST traceable calibration. That extra accuracy and precision and calibration is what costs $$$. I think ~1mb is fine for a home weather station, especially if calibrated against a local reliable source.
    edited 2011-06-18 11:16
    Total energy is explained in the vario wiki link. It combines airspeed into the equation. If you pull back on the stick a regular vario will indicate that you are in lift but you are really trading speed for altitude (stick thermal).

Sure, you could build a box but it would be much larger and less reliable than just using transducers that have the nipples. There is no downside to using transducers that have the nipples that I can see except for the few extra cents that it may cost. The advantage is substantial though. I can see many more demos and app notes for the nipple equipped transducers than those without nipples. But hey, if Parallax decides not to use nipples then someone like myself can offer a module that does use the nipple.

Nipple, nipple nipple.

Rich H
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2011-06-18 12:51
    Clarifying/extending Rich's comments on nipples, just because they are there, that doesn't mean you HAVE to use them. Heck, in some of the transducers I've see, you could even cut them off if you didn't want them (space, etc.).

On the flip side, it can be kind of hard to reliably add them.
    edited 2011-06-20 10:18
    Size. The new generation of absolute pressure transducers occupy a footprint less than the area of an soic8. Some are small enough that they could almost be mounted inside a nipple or barb. Also lowest cost.

It appears that the M19 uses an absolute transducer. Is a GPS good enough to derive the velocity component for total energy?
    edited 2011-06-20 10:32
    Is a GPS good enough to derive the velocity component for total energy?

GPS only reports groundspeed. Airspeed rarely equals groundspeed. Even if it did we would want Indicated airspeed and not true airspeed - although I guess true airspeed could be used after compensated for altitude in software. The point is you want to know your velocity through the airmass, not relative to the ground. With a slow flying craft such as a paraglider, GPS speed can easily show you traveling the opposite direction.

When you combine airspeed with GPS data you can calculate windspeed and direction - which is certainly very useful.

Rich H
    edited 2011-06-20 11:23
    It seems like the air speed sensor is a separate pressure transducer, connected to that Irving Tube or venturi held in a strategic location. What kind of pressure transducer and pressure range would you need for that? It's maybe, kind of specialized, for Parallax?
    edited 2011-06-20 11:29
    A classic airspeed 'sensor' is just connected up via a pitot tube. The venturi/total energy tube thing is a way of automatically compensating for airspeed. When you pull the stick back you gain altitude, (pressure goes down) but lose some airspeed so the venturi has slightly less pull, (pressure goes up) the net effect is that they cancel each other out - that's how I understand it anyway.

I think a standard pressure sensor with a pitot (airspeed) and some math will accomplish the same thing when used with the altitude sensor.

Rich H
  • RS_JimRS_Jim Posts: 1,762
    edited 2011-06-21 07:29
    If I remember correctly, the traditional airspeed indicator in an air craft uses both dynamic input (pitot tube) and static input (static port) to measure airspeed. One of the lessons you learn when preflighting an airplane is be sure to check both the pitot tube and the static port for obstructions. Insects seem to love to build nests or whatever in or around the static port. With the static port clogged, you loose both your altimeter and airspeed gages, a combination that has proven deadly on more than one occasion.
    Jim
  • Capt. QuirkCapt. Quirk Posts: 872
    edited 2011-06-21 16:58
    Density Altitude! A very small a weather station using a "mems" style pressure sensor, and a combination temp/humidity sensor together will have many, many different application possibilities.

Personally, I think a single pressure sensor without a density altitude capability can be done by anybody.

However, I like ideas about stall protection, tip stall measurements, and even for monitoring turbulators for main wings stall & STOL capabilities. But not for air speed, with or without a Pitot tube, or for that matter, anything that requires a hose connection that can compromise a minimal footprint and weight.

However a miniature Density Altitude Weather station with additional data logging outputs in torr, relative humidity, and temp in centigrade will have more applications then I care to list.

Bill M.
  • Capt. QuirkCapt. Quirk Posts: 872
    edited 2011-06-21 17:33
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Applications might include rocketry, quadcopters, UAVs or telemetry-related projects, or even Parallax Semiconductor application notes. Ken Gracey

Maybe a few, regarding your possibilities. Speed is greatly influenced by temp, humidity and regions of upper atmosphere hi pressure. On the other hand, this also causes serious loss of horsepower for any internal combustion engine powered vehicle. It also as has large implications on propeller choice of any airworthy or boating application, and gearing to compensate for lost horse power of any internal combustion engine on the ground.

Any spark, or compression engines will require different fuel air requirements depending on the time of day, or the local area of operation. Gearing or propeller choice will greatly influences the severity of these changes. Personally I think it is very easy to understand a propeller's pitch/rpm. But not the implications of a propeller choice with regards to the power-plant and all weather operation.

Any spark, or compression ignition engine can easily loose 40 to 50 psi of compression between morning and afternoon in the south-west United States. Similar, but not as severe everywhere else, and least along coastline. If you are not aware of these possibilities, it will lead to problems. My home town is about 1000' above sea level, but density altitude will reach 4500' to 5500' on a hot day.

Data acquisition at home, air, land and sea vehicles, engine management, bicycles, and even for athletes.

Any pro to a hobbyist will find more possibilities than I can list.

Bill M.

(This is my weather station, it costs more than $400.00)
    250 x 346 - 51K
  • vettezr1vettezr1 Posts: 77
    edited 2011-06-21 18:20
    I will tell you what a lot of my buddies and myself want, we are car buffs and I have been looking for a pressure sensors for monitoring our turbos or super chargers We know there are gauges which show the PSI but thats not what we want becuae you can not do anything with the info a pressure sensors that we could read and display data would be the ticket I tried making somehitng work with the parallax pres sensor that they sell but its just not the same thing as a what we woudl need a true pressure sensor that would interface to the basic stamps or props would be great we would need to read basic atmesphere 14psi all the way to 40 PSI
  • achilles03achilles03 Posts: 247
    edited 2011-06-21 20:53
    MPX4100 by Freescale. I've used a couple on rockets with PICs. Worked like a charm. They're analog, and I typically run them through a 12bit ADC. They'll go up to at least 30kft before they go off scale low (probably closer to 50kft). There's a few different packages you might prefer to stock, but they're not too expensive if you buy them in bulk (< $10).

Hope that helps,
    Dave
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2011-06-22 21:04
    Hey there,

Thank you to everybody who provided us feedback on the request. We've ordered some samples of the Measurement Specialties sensors and will give them an evaluation before we design a couple of modules.

Ken Gracey