Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PBASIC Coding on Telit GE865 Breakout board? — Parallax Forums

PBASIC Coding on Telit GE865 Breakout board?

MasterPantsMasterPants Posts: 2
edited 2011-06-09 19:13 in BASIC Stamp
Hey everyone,

I'm new here to the Parallax forums and was wondering if someone could help me. I'm programming a Super Carrier Board with PBASIC coding for the STAMP. I recently purchased a Telit GE865 Breakout Board from www.Sparkfun.com URL="http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9297"]This is the GE865 Breakout Board we chose[/URL for a project a team and I are currently working on. The device is planned to use GPS components to get the coordinates of the currents user's location and output them via GSM, aside from the other mechanisms that work in the device. We have all of the other components working (Lights, sirens, GPS, accelorometer, etc.) however once we bought the Telit GE865 Breakout Board we ran into an impasse.

Alas, we do not know how code this GSM Module in PBASIC and are on an EXTREME time crunch. If someone could give us some advice or info on this it would be an enormous help and very much appreciated.

Thanks

-Travis Ramsey, Eureka Springs Inventeam 2011

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2011-06-09 13:26
    It would help if you attached your code, a drawing of how you have things connected and what you want the device to do for you. Attaching the code you have tried will help too.
  • MasterPantsMasterPants Posts: 2
    edited 2011-06-09 19:13
    It would help if you attached your code, a drawing of how you have things connected and what you want the device to do for you. Attaching the code you have tried will help too

Well, there was the problem. We don't have the code written. I queried if someone could point me in the general direction of where to start looking or any helpful advice. It doesn't matter how I have it connected as of now, for there is no code to run however we could have connected it, sorry.

A user on another forum site told me what I needed to know to get started and I wanted to post it here so that if someone else needed help they could hopefully find it here.
    bill190, Sparkfun forums said:

I don't know a thing about this, but because no one has answered....

There are documents on this here...
    http://www.telit.com/en/products/gsm-gprs.php?p_ac=show&p=47

Then the document "Telit_AT_Commands_Reference_Guide_r10" looks like these are the commands you would use for this gizmo.

"AT" commands are what are used with a modem connected to a computer. You would connect the serial port of a computer to a modem using a "terminal program", then could type in commands like AT[something], and then the modem would do something.

And sometimes there are AT commands which can be used just to test the serial connection. Perhaps there is a command to ask the modem to tell you its serial number or whatever. Then you could enter that command, then the modem would return a number. And then you would know your serial connection to the modem was basically working....

Anyway, there is a similar command with the above gizmo per that document...
    AT#CGSN
    (Execution command returns the product serial number)

So one way of testing the gizmo would be to connect a computer serial port to the gizmo, then use a terminal program for sending / receiving on that serial port, and then set the correct baud rate, etc. on the terminal program...

Then simply type in the characters...
    AT#CGSN

...then the gizmo should send you some numbers back (serial number).

And I've not connected a serial device to a STAMP, but you might be able to connect a computer serial port and use a terminal program and connect this to the STAMP serial port as well. Then program the stamp to send the characters...
    AT#CGSN

...and when you run the stamp program, you would see these characters appear on the computer terminal program screen.

Then you would know the above gizmo was working and that the stamp was sending what it should [with your independent testing of each].

Programming the STAMP (or anything) to receive the serial number (or other information) is quite complex. Basically you are creating a computer program which can "read"!

But if you are just sending commands and don't need to receive any commands, then the above should get you going.

Thanks for trying to help me though Franklin, it's aprecciated.

-Travis Ramsey, Eureka Springs Inventeam 2011