Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
HIgh School Teachers' Robotics Workshop - NOW WITH PICS — Parallax Forums

HIgh School Teachers' Robotics Workshop - NOW WITH PICS

WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
edited 2011-06-11 14:52 in Robotics
Hey All,

Today is part two of the Robotics' Workshop at Northeast Louisiana Technical College. Today, I have High School teachers. It ought to be a blast! We are using the S2 and talking about STEM Education.

I will be introducing Parallax Forums this afternoon.

Please say hello!

Comments

• SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2011-06-09 07:44
    Hi to ALL.

And good success with it

Whit wrote: »
    Hey All,

Today is part two of the Robotics' Workshop at Northeast Louisiana Technical College. Today, I have High School teachers. It ought to be a blast! We are using the S2 and talking about STEM Education.

I will be introducing Parallax Forums this afternoon.

Please say hello!
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2011-06-09 08:00
    Hey there Teach's!

Back in my High School Days, I didn't really appreciate you guys very much...
    Now I know the value of what you'all do!

Keep it up, and know that Whit is the Best, and have a blast with Robots! (Besides my wife and kids - Robotics is my true love ;-)

-Matt
  • Jessica UelmenJessica Uelmen Posts: 490
    edited 2011-06-09 08:12
    Welcome to the forums!

Hope you're having a great day with the S2, but with the way Whit presents it, I'm sure you are!

Should you need any additional educational resources or have any questions please don't hesitate to ask here, or even send me an email: juelmen@parallax.com. We're more than happy to help! :)

Cheers,
    Jessica
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2011-06-09 18:33
    First of all, thanks for the great replies! It is amazing how people light up when they see the mesaages from you guys!

Okay, Today was a blast! It was my first time working with a group of teachers only. Usually, I have one or two teachers in with a bunch of students.

Todays group was very adventurous and I think they really had a good time too. Some probably were dreading the workshop, but I asked them to give me chance. They really dove right in. They were laughing and trying new things on their own. The scribbled their intiials too - working with the GUI and using trial and error to get them just right.

The S2 was a big hit and most of them left ready to talk up robotics at their schools. Check out the pictures below.

Edit - I have discovered that I need someone else to shoot photos and videos while I am teaching. I can't do it all!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-06-09 21:27
    Cool stuff, Whit. Now be honest: who had more fun, the students or teachers?
    edited 2011-06-09 21:58
    Who had more fun? I'll bet it was Whit :-)
    -Matt
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-06-09 22:08
    @Matt: Touch
  • NikosGNikosG Posts: 705
    edited 2011-06-10 02:31
    Hello Whit,
    Congratulations!!!
    It would be great If we could have similar Workshops with Parallax robots in Greece!
    edited 2011-06-10 06:54
    @NikosG-

What's preventing you from doing that?
    -Matt
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2011-06-10 15:58
    Hey all,

Thanks for the comments! To be honest. The students had fun but were generally more serious - all business - I had to work to get them laughing and smiling. The teachers had a great time and laughed a lot and especially when something didn't work the way they thought it would. It was great fun.
  • NikosGNikosG Posts: 705
    edited 2011-06-10 16:27
    @Matt,
    This is a big issue...
    Usually everything it happens about teachers further education it is organized officially by the minister of education...
    Unfortunately they are not open minded enough....
    On the other hand I believe that it is a risk for someone to get the initiative to start a workshop unoffiacially without support or without goverment's official acceptance. I say this because I haven't the better experience from the projects I have done untill now. Everything new stumble in a wall of difficulties and bad criticism from many people.
    However I never give up.Despite the difficulties I have present all my Parallax projects in many conferences in Patras University, in Athens university , in Korinthos University etc. and I can assure you that the majority of students became excited with parallax.
    The idea to organize a parallax workshop for teachers is very attractive but first I must have a positive view (form the official education counselor )
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2011-06-11 14:52
    Whit - remarkable!

NikosG - we hope Parallax can make a good impression on the Official Education Ministry. Keep at it! Some of these things take time.