Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Robotics' Workshop in Louisiana - NOW with PICTURES ADDED! — Parallax Forums

Robotics' Workshop in Louisiana - NOW with PICTURES ADDED!

WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
edited 2011-06-09 10:45 in Robotics
Hey All,

I am leading a one-day robotics' workshop at the Delta Ouachita Campus of the Northeast Louisiana Technical College. I will be working with a group of High School students from all over Northeast Louisiana and using the S2 robot. I will be introducing the Parallax Forums tomorrow afternoon

Give us a shout-out if you get the chance! Thanks in advance

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2011-06-06 20:24
    Go Students! You're in great hands with Mr. Stodghill. You won't find a more enthusiastic roboticist and he is quite capable with all things Parallax. Enjoy learning, it will seem more like fun than traditional education. Like Sara Lee, NOBODY doesn't like robots!
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2011-06-06 20:24
    Hello Louisiana high school robo-heads from California!

Welcome to the new robotics workshop!

Here's what I'll "sell you" with this introduction since Whit+ already bought the robots: a real hands-on introduction to the self-empowering field of robotics! Even if you aren't going to design robots as a career, this exposure could open many doors for you in entrepreneurial product development, hands-on skills with electronics and programming, and the potential for very unique and rewarding career choices. Knowing how things like the S2 work mean you could effectively transact business around such products, whether the career is in marketing, management or working for yourself.

Our country shall be inspired by the things you do in the future, so jump in and go for it! Ask Whit anything you want to know along the way. He's a polite person and might wave your question on for a later session in the day. A full day of S2 exposure will give you a good look at what this is all about.

Ken Gracey
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2011-06-06 21:34
    Hey all you ROBOT DEVELOPERS !

If you're anything like me, you're going to love Robotics! It may not happen in my lifetime, but for sure it will happen in yours - walking, talking, robots among us. Don't think I'm kidding! Robots that YOU may design and build can change the world of tomorrow into a better place -

(Just remember to write code that incorporates the "Three Laws of Robotics" - Ask Mr. Stodghill about these, if you don't already know).

Enjoy your "workshop" - and we hope to see you here on the Parallax (Robotics) Forums soon! There's a huge number of Robot Developers (from all over the world) here to help and encourage you with your ideas and inspirations...

And most of all - have fun!
    -Matt
  • Jessica UelmenJessica Uelmen Posts: 490
    edited 2011-06-07 09:11
    Hey there fellow roboticists!

Hope you're having an awesome workshop so far - but how could you not be having an awesome time? The S2 is a great 'bot. :]

The most important thing is don't be afraid to try something new, trust me the S2 is very hard to break. Besides, the best way you learn is through making mistakes!

Cheers,
    Jess
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2011-06-07 09:25
    Have fun. The S2 will be fun to program.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2011-06-07 09:29
    ... trust me the S2 is very hard to break.

Sounds like a great challenge for the students! That's just the kind of opportunity that makes students dig in and apply themselves. Have fun!
  • ScribblerKartScribblerKart Posts: 45
    edited 2011-06-07 09:52
    Hey tech peeps, rok on!
    :)
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2011-06-07 09:53
    Hey all,

Thanks for the shout-outs. We are having a great time. Video and pics soon!
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2011-06-07 16:56
    Hey Guys (and Gals!) -
    I forgot to mention the Fourth Law of Robotics:

4) Never listen to erco! ;-)

(except for the "Have Fun" part!)

-Matt
    edited 2011-06-07 18:30
    Hey Everyone,
    Here is what I'm up too - according to the brochure...
    SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY, ENGINEERING & MATHEMATICS (STEM) ACADEMY
    Monday June 6, 2011 to Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Students will explore career paths, gain practical work skills and even earn certification all while enjoying an incredible summer camp with other creative teens. All courses are project-based and taught by industry experts in a small-group setting. Students will work together in a fun, exciting environment using technology to sample such disciplines as robotics, aeronautics and computer design. Students will learn about the expansive range of careers and jobs within their area of interests while in high school.

I am handling the robotics portion - using the S2.

The S2 is just fantastic for this sort of use. It is ready to go and instantly fun. It is also as deep as they want to make it. We play with Spin a bit too.

As with most beginners, they loved the sounds! The Hokey Pokey blew them away! Jessica's videos were fun and informative. They wrote a program to scribble one of their initials and one student wrote a great obstacle avoiding program.
    edited 2011-06-07 19:32
    Hey all,

Attached are some pics and the following Video. As I said above, the students used the GUI to scribble their initial. This one is the Teacher's Assitant, my son's, letter "T." It took him about 20 minutes to do this! The S2 is just a great robot...HIs pic is also attached and he is known on the forums as ScribblerKart.

The students really had a great day.

Expect a new thread late Wednesday night. On Thursday, I have a group of High School Teachers! That will be a blast...
    1024 x 1192 - 141K
    1024 x 1275 - 127K
    1024 x 813 - 84K
    1024 x 991 - 87K
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2011-06-08 04:17
    That's really awesome Whit! Keep up the good work guys!
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2011-06-08 08:30
    Good going!
  • Jessica UelmenJessica Uelmen Posts: 490
    edited 2011-06-08 10:16
    Way cool! Thanks for all you do Whit, your workshops always look like tons of fun!
    edited 2011-06-08 14:19
    @All, Thanks everybody...

@Jess, Thanks too - by the way they are scribbling on dry erase poster board - something I just found and using the dry erase marker (same size as Sharpies) that I found a while back - this further updates Phil Pilgrim's Green Scribbling Initiative!
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2011-06-09 10:45
    Whit, I'm really impressed!
    Keep up the great work!