Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
XSticks to be available through Parallax + some important information about them — Parallax Forums

XSticks to be available through Parallax + some important information about them

Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
edited 2011-06-01 16:16 in Accessories
Hello there,

Several of our customers bought the XSticks and were discouraged to learn that these modules only ship with the API command mode, whereas our documentation (and our customers) tend to prefer the AT command set.

Parallax will Offer XSticks with AT and API Command Mode Support!

A call to Digi opened up an option that is initially only available through Parallax - we will reflash the two XStick models (802.15.4 and ZigBee, formerly "Series 1 and Series 2" respectively) to support the AT command set. Digi's only stock code is for the API mode, but the hardware actually supports both modes.

Making this change requires some specific sequences of setup with the X-CTU program. We will document these steps so that customers can correctly switch back and forth. We will post those instructions on this thread and in a document on the product page.

When to use XSticks

The XStick is a 1 mW XBee module in a USB package, so it is tethered to your PC. You could use this to wirelessly program your Propeller with our application note or send/receive data between a PC and a microcontroller. In any case, this module is used with a PC.

The alternative is to use an XBee module on our XBee USB Adapter. This setup provides a bit more flexibility since the XBee module can be removed from the USB Adapter board. The two approaches cost about the same. I'll certainly have an XStick in my quiver since something seems to always be connected to a PC and this looks like a clean solution. Perhaps the only time it's not convenient is when you really want the 60 mW XBee module (not available in XStick format).

We should have these in stock in about a week right now. I think they'll be priced at $50. And one final tip: the subsequent naming convention of Series 1 and Series 2 implies that Series 2 is somehow "better". Series 2 supports ZigBee (vs. DigiMesh in Series 1) and it requires extra configuration. Choose the 802.15.4 (Series 1) and keep your engineering efforts rewarding unless you've clearly identified the need for the ZigBee version.

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey

Comments

• schillschill Posts: 741
    edited 2011-06-01 14:44
    I've been using an XStick for about a week now. The documentation on Digi's site was pretty minimal - like they are still getting set up.

It was no problem to configure using XCTU - no documentation, just took a gamble and it worked.

They are really convenient on the PC end. I've been using a Parallax USB adapter, which I highly recommend, up to this point. I probably still will in the future so that I can pick and choose which module I want to use (switching to a Pro, for example). But, I like the clean, no-exposed-electronics feature.

I reflashed mine to the latest firmware, but I haven't tested the AT command set yet. I've just been using it as a point-to-point serial pass-through for robot telemetry.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2011-06-01 15:15
    schill wrote: »
    I've been using an XStick for about a week now. The documentation on Digi's site was pretty minimal - like they are still getting set up.

It was no problem to configure using XCTU - no documentation, just took a gamble and it worked.

They are really convenient on the PC end. I've been using a Parallax USB adapter, which I highly recommend, up to this point. I probably still will in the future so that I can pick and choose which module I want to use (switching to a Pro, for example). But, I like the clean, no-exposed-electronics feature.

I reflashed mine to the latest firmware, but I haven't tested the AT command set yet. I've just been using it as a point-to-point serial pass-through for robot telemetry.

schill, I'd like to verify that your re-flash worked correctly. The specific instructions I received from Digi were quite unique, requiring a particular version of X-CTU. If I have the time I will post the details on this thread tonight.

Ken Gracey
  • schillschill Posts: 741
    edited 2011-06-01 15:23
    Ken:

I'd like to see those instructions. I know I didn't do anything special. I've only used it as a serial connection (its default behavior) and it's working correctly. The only reason I reflashed it was to bring it up to the same version as the other Xbee I am using it with.

I'm not sure which version of XCTU I'm using (it's not in front of me right now).

I did set the channel, baud rate, addresses, etc. to let them see each other and that worked fine.

As far as I can tell, I didn't mess anything up but I'd like to make sure it's up to speed because I will be using it for some more advanced stuff.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2011-06-01 16:16
    schill, in their present form they're not really in postable form, but drop me an e-mail to kgracey@parallax.com and I'll forward what I've been given. I appreciate your interest in this - maybe you can get ahead of the curve for us so we're explaining this correctly.

Thanks,

Ken Gracey