Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Testing out my first StingRay - Voltage is key for motors — Parallax Forums

Testing out my first StingRay - Voltage is key for motors

StempileStempile Posts: 82
edited 2011-05-31 19:00 in Robotics
I built the StingRay last week, however ran out of time to play with it. Finally had a couple minutes yesterday to plug it in.

I downloaded the Left Motor, Right motor tests with it hooked up to my bench power supply on the barrel connector. Power status Lights were green and ready to go, however no action. I have been powering my prior Prop boards with 6volts on the bench top supply, no issues, so I didn't think much about that. Unfortunately I couldn't troubleshoot much until today. I knew that given the quality of Parallax, it had to be a user (me) issue.

I downloaded the Robot controller board manual and did some more digging. I was about to start checking pins when I figured I should at least give it as much voltage as the battery pack would (6 AA) at ~9 volts. As soon as I got up to about 6.5 volts, the motors came to life...

I haven't worked with a board that had a power status light on it. Perhaps future revs should set the min threshold higher? Though it would of course depend on how much other stuff is running off of Vin. I had 3 pings on there too.

I learned my lesson on this one, double check the voltage specs considering the number of components.

I finally put the batteries in, downloaded the String Ping Demo and had a good time watching it dance around the hall way!

Thanks for another great product Parallax!!

Comments

• WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,934
    edited 2011-05-30 21:46
    Good to know, I have a bad habit of diving in like that as well and I would have probably done the same thing with the Stingray I won at UPEW. I haven't had time to get mine assembled, so I haven't burned anything up yet. lol. While I am working on other projects, I am trying to figure out what to add to it. I am thinking 3 pings like you, but also want to add a wireless video camera because I plan to have a small NTSC display on my remote unit. Good luck on your progress.
  • schillschill Posts: 741
    edited 2011-05-31 06:10
    I had found a 6v 3A power supply was not enough to get things moving.

7.2v is fine - that's 6 1.2v rechargeable AAs. I've been testing/running with 7.2v RC battery packs (6 sub-c NiMH cells, 3800 mAh (on the label, not tested)).
  • StempileStempile Posts: 82
    edited 2011-05-31 16:56
    I am thinking 3 pings like you, but also want to add a wireless video camera because I plan to have a small NTSC display on my remote unit. Good luck on your progress.

Been searching for some camera options also on Amazon. Found a few cheap ones with a Tx/Matched Rx. Bad reviews though so have not tried them yet. On the forum, found most people going with WiFi based cameras. Keep me posted on what you end up with...

ms
    edited 2011-05-31 16:58
    Opps, math error. Was using AA's as 1.5 not 1.2. Looking forward to the LiOn battery pack that Matt showed off at the expo.

ms
    edited 2011-05-31 17:21
    Stempile wrote: »
    Opps, math error. Was using AA's as 1.5 not 1.2. Looking forward to the LiOn battery pack that Matt showed off at the expo.

ms

AA's are 1.5v, double checked since I was thinking about it.

Also here is the forum post about the new battery option: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?129011-New-Power-Solution-for-the-Stingray-and-more...

ms
  • schillschill Posts: 741
    edited 2011-05-31 19:00
    Stempile wrote: »
    AA's are 1.5v, double checked since I was thinking about it.

Alkaline AAs are nominally 1.5v. NiMH and NiCd are 1.2v.