Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Do Parallax have adio for boe-bot — Parallax Forums

Do Parallax have adio for boe-bot

DanowDanow Posts: 10
edited 2011-05-30 11:07 in Robotics
Is there a Module Parallax have a way for a boe-bot to say hi back to me. Throw a speker back at me, I have Say it Module (#330080). Is there a way of the bot tell me hi not by the debug display? but by a the piezospeaker?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-05-30 10:27
    Parallax doesn't have a module to play sounds, but lots of other companies make them. Here's one that I've used that can be used with a Stamp to play MP3 files. You can record short phrases and play them one after another. You'll need a small speaker and amplifier for it, but those are easy to buy or make. Anything designed for use with an iPod or similar music player with a headphone jack should work.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-05-30 10:32
    If you want to experiment and learn about speech synthesis, you could use something like Parallax's Propeller Backpack and the existing speech synthesis software that's in the Object Exchange, both Chip Gracey's vocal tract synthesis program and Phil Pilgrim's phoneme front end. You'll need to modify it slightly to work with the Backpack.

Note: A piezospeaker is a poor choice for speech feedback. It's okay for beeps and clicks, but the frequency response is terrible for speech.
  • RavenkallenRavenkallen Posts: 1,057
    edited 2011-05-30 11:07
    I have had good luck with this module from Sparkfun... It is a little expensive, but it does play back MP3's very nicely. You could hook up some sort of mini amplified speaker(Like the ones for your Ipod) and a SD card with a couple of MP3's on them... Just make sure that the MP3 bit rate is not to high or else it will not work properly.
    http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9715
  • Mike, Do you ever have time's. you want to pull your hair out with programming?
  • Danow wrote: »
    Is there a Module Parallax have a way for a boe-bot to say hi back to me. Throw a speker back at me, I have Say it Module (#330080). Is there a way of the bot tell me hi not by the debug display? but by a the piezospeaker?

There is a text to speech module that Parallax sells:

https://www.parallax.com/product/30016

Works via serial port. Easy to use for speech.