Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Thermisistor!!!!! — Parallax Forums

Thermisistor!!!!!

bomberbomber Posts: 297
edited 2011-05-29 06:14 in BASIC Stamp
Recently, I was mesing around with a computer power supply, and after tripping a circuit breaker by accidentally touching the chopper transistor's heatsink, I thought that I should just use that baby for parts. I started looking around and on the heatsink (that was NOT the chopper's heatsink) I found a part that looked like a small blue capacitor. It was a thermesistor!!!!!! I hooked up the circuit (the circuit uses a 555 running so that a resistance between pins 2 and 3 wil change the output frequency) , and used the code below to measure the outcoming pulses. After doing some math in the pogram, I was ready to go.
Code:
' {$STAMP BS2}
' {$PBASIC 2.5}
temp VAR Word ' variable to hold temperature.
DO
COUNT 0, 250 ,temp ' count the number of pulses in 1/4 of a second
temp = temp / 4 'calibration: divide by 4
temp = temp - 5 'calibration: subtract 5
DEBUG CLS,? temp ' display temp
LOOP

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-05-28 14:44
    Sweet when things go your way, huh? You could also measure the thermistor resistance directly (without a 555) using the RCTime command.
  • UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
    edited 2011-05-28 16:24
    Hi, just a note for future reference. A thermistor develops a very small voltage across its terminals, small changes in voltage relate very accurately to temperature. So temperature is measured using a voltage measurement device when a thermistor is involved. On the other hand a RTD (resistance temperature detector) has a changing resistance that relates to a certain temperature depending on the value of resistance. If you have a device controlling the frequency of a 555 with temperature changes it is more than likely it is a RTD.

hope this helps
    Jeff T.
  • bomberbomber Posts: 297
    edited 2011-05-28 16:39
    these are both intresting suggestions. the reason that I didn't use the RCTIME command was because the 555 circuit was already on the breadboard from expirament six.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-05-28 20:17
    @UnsoundC: You may be thinking about a thermocouple, which is a metal junction (iron/constantan, for example) that gives off a millivoltage proportional to the temperature. Thermistors are basically resistors that change with temperature, they come in positive and negative coefficient types.
  • UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
    edited 2011-05-29 06:14
    erco, yes I was thanks for the correction. Similar devices in many ways, this should help me distinguish the difference in the future.

thanks
    Jeff T.