Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
need info on problem with BS2p40 and usb to serial downloading. — Parallax Forums

need info on problem with BS2p40 and usb to serial downloading.

allieallie Posts: 107
edited 2011-06-13 17:43 in BASIC Stamp
I have a problem with the usb to serial rs232 adapter when hooked to the BS2p40 on the Professional Development Board. It was working o.k., Last night I was using it and it shut window xp down with a vital error.
It keep saying that there was a problem finding com port 12.

Question : Does the BS2p40 always use com port 12 or can it be changed?

I uninstalled the ftdi driver. Then I tried to reinstall the ftdi driver from the parallax web site down loads site and it would only install a part of the download. It said that some files would not install. I then down loaded the driver from the cd which down loaded o.k. but the BS2p40 keep saying the same problem with com port 12.
I then took out the BS2p40 and replaced it with the BS2 and tried the PDB and the usb to serial adapter and down loaded the hardware,software from the cd that came from parallax and all worked o.k. The BS2 used com port 8.

Does the BS2 always use com port 8?
I changed the usb outputs from one hole to another on my computer the BS2p40 still did not work and the BS2 did work o.k.

What can I try next?

allie

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2011-05-25 20:46
    You can go into device manager and remove the usb serial ports and windows will recreate one when you plug in your device.
  • Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2011-05-25 21:01
    Go to the device manager. Double click the USB serial port. Click the port setting tab. Click the Advanced button. Select a port from the drop down.
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2011-05-26 04:58
    There might be a problem with your BS2p40 because if the BS2 works and the other one dose not
    Call tech support and see what they can do for you
  • allieallie Posts: 107
    edited 2011-05-29 15:19
    Problem solved.

Thank you all, for you response and I'm sorry that it took me so long to reply back.
    I tried the first two answers to solve the problem with no success. The last answer which was posted I just viewed it now because My computer was being wiped clean. I had the computer with windows XP for approx. 5 or 6 years and had a lot of files on it and when I used it to program the BS2p40 some times it worked and some times not, then I tried the Bs2 and at first it seemed to work but I tried small programs and the Parallax web site said to try some things and it did not solve the problem. I tried changing the BS2 to the supper carrier board all seemed to work o.k. but again small programs.
    So I decided to do a full renewal of my computer. I took off windows, then I re-installed it again and every thing worked the way it should.

Thank you for your support, and again I applogize for being so long responding

P.S.
    When I was putting windows back on the system I was missing a cd which I had to find and delayed the process.
    I Tried to Down load a new FTDI driver from parallax, downloaded o.k. but would not install without errors and that's why I did the new install to windows.

Allie
    edited 2011-06-02 04:48
    P.S.
    When I was putting windows back on the system I was missing a cd which I had to find and delayed the process.
    I Tried to Down load a new FTDI driver from parallax, downloaded o.k. but would not install without errors and that's why I did the new install to windows.

When all else fails then just re install windows and hope for the best

I am glad you got it working again

Please change the prefix to solved in your first post Thanks
    edited 2011-06-04 18:20
    sam_sam_sam I wanted to do that but I didn't no how.Could some one please let me know.
    I can't find that little drop down. arrow.

allie
    edited 2011-06-07 13:36
    On your first post hit edit your post then to right of that you will see ...> Go Advanced <.... at the top of the post there is a "prefix " check one that says "solved" then hit SAVE and that it
    edited 2011-06-13 17:43
    Sam I've tried several times to post this but I'm having a problem with my computer and could not get my post's sent out.When I send them out I get an error message saying web page unavariable. So I,ll try again. Thanks

allie