Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Two wire servo — Parallax Forums

Two wire servo

ufoufo Posts: 1
edited 2011-05-23 09:48 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,

I've got a question which I hope someone here can answer. I'm not having trouble using the Servo's which come with my Boe Bot. However, I want to use another Servo which only has a connection for two wires (red and black) instead of the default Servo's (red, black and white). Is it possible to connect these Servo's to my Boe Bot and if so, how can it be done. I'm using a BS2.

Thanks in Advance,
Regards,
Ufo

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-05-23 09:48
    I'm not aware of any servos that have only two connections. A servo requires power which already accounts for two connections. It also requires a control signal which makes the third.

You may have a DC motor which only has two leads. These have no servo mechanism in them and they're controlled completely differently by turning the power on and off and reversing the connections to the motor to make it reverse direction. Look at the Wikipedia articles on DC motors and H-Bridges. An H-bridge is commonly used to reverse the power connections to a DC motor and it can be switched on and off rapidly to control the motor's speed by varying the average time the motor is turned on. Parallax sells a DC motor controller that makes a DC motor look like a servo motor. Look at the description of the HB-25 motor controller.