Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
MacBS2 — Parallax Forums

MacBS2

HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
edited 2011-05-23 09:34 in BASIC Stamp
Is there a trick to using MacBS2 and loading/downloading code with Penguin's BS2px? The closest target module in the MacBS2 program is a BS2pe.

Comments

• ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2011-05-23 06:29
    I don't believe that MacBS2 supports the BS2px.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-05-23 06:56
    MacBS2 uses the Parallax Stamp Tokenizer to process the source code and the Tokenizer doesn't support the BS2px. This means that the Stamp Editor is the only way to compile and download programs for the BS2px. Alas, that means that you can only use the Stamp Editor to program for the Penguin.
  • ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2011-05-23 08:02
    If that's the case, this is probably a question best answered by Parallax staff. Putting aside the very particular case of needing to program a BS2px natively from a Mac, I am wondering if there are plans to release a more current version of the tokenizer -- I would think that software package would need to be current for upcoming products like WiFi programming of Stamps/Props, etc. ???? There are other third-party products that take advantage of the tokenizer as well.
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2011-05-23 08:56
    Thank you sincerely for the replies. There's a mac OSX program for intel processors that allows a pc program to load and run on a Mac, without loading and running from a Windows OS install. My thought now is will the Stamp Editor work? I can't try it because the MacBook has OSX 10.4 and the code and its support requirements run on 10.5 and above.

http://www.winehq.org/
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-05-23 09:34
    There is an open-source program as you mentioned, called Wine, that allows you to run a lot of Windows programs on an Intel-based Mac (or Intel Linux installation). Unfortunately, the Stamp Editor doesn't work too well under Wine, particularly the serial I/O stuff. There's a company by the name of Code Weavers that has a commercial distribution of Wine with a lot of their own changes and improvements that's called CrossOver (they're a major supporter of Wine development as well). I've tried the Stamp Editor (and the Propeller Tool) under CrossOver and it doesn't work reliably.