Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
lantronix xport exchange by spinneret — Parallax Forums

lantronix xport exchange by spinneret

stefstef Posts: 173
edited 2011-05-24 05:03 in Accessories
Hi all

Just a question. I use a lot of lantronix xport to connect te prop to the network. I wrote a .net service to collect data from different modules on port 3001.
Can I assume that with the write spin program (adapted to the spineret) loaded I can do the same with the spinneret as with my lantronix.
Can I aditional use also the web page to reakt on brouwser request even if the service is connected. (If abouve is possible)
I 'm investigating to swap over to spineret modules.

Thanks in advance.

Stef

Comments

• Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2011-05-23 06:19
    The Spinneret can do serial to Ethernet like the lantronix xport.
    I wrote a .net service to collect data from different modules on port 3001.
    Can I assume that with the write spin program (adapted to the spineret) loaded I can do the same with the spinneret as with my lantronix.
    I don't know... How does you .NET service work? Does it use sockets?
    Can I aditional use also the web page to reakt on brouwser request even if the service is connected.
    Many of the open source drivers support HTTP. All 4 hardware sockets are configurable. What do you mean service is connected? Does that mean your service opens a socket and does not close the socket? Or are you asking about concurrent requests?

This simple example uses all 4 Spinneret sockets to render a web page.
    http://spinneret.servebeer.com:5000/index.htm
    I 'm investigating to swap over to spineret modules.
    If you can provide specific information about your setup I can better answer you query. You might want to browse the forum for more information.
  • stefstef Posts: 173
    edited 2011-05-23 08:20
    Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply
    How does you .NET service work? Does it use sockets?

In case of the lantronix I open a conection to port 3001 and can send or recieve from it the information I need from the propeller behind the lantronix. The service is handeling the communication to the lantronix and if the information is recieved it sends it to the SQL server. I made it as a service so I dont need to log in the computer. It stays running when loged off.

Many of the open source drivers support HTTP. All 4 hardware sockets are configurable. What do you mean service is connected? Does that mean your service opens a socket and does not close the socket? Or do you mean concurrent requests?

I dont' use HTTP with the lantronix. It is straid forward like a serial tunnel. It stays connected if nothings is going wrong. The service is requesting from time to time information. If for some reasone the connection is dropping the service is retrying to establisch the connection on interval. If it is back up it can recieve the information frome where it stopped.

I hope this litle informatione helped a bit. The reason I whas investigating the swap to spinneret is that now with the lantronix it is easy but I can only access the information on the sql server. I have some projects comming up where I need to do this (logging to an sql for long term ) but also visualize the information localy (short term) The end user is asking to do that true his brouwser. The lantronix is not suited for that (or not on an easy base. I know the AR xport of lantronix can do that) So that is wy I 'm trieing to figure out if the spinneret can help in that. (Do serial tunnaling on tcp/ip port 3001 and server web pages on port 80 if requested by a client brouwser.) The connection on port 3001 stays open all the time.

stef
  • Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2011-05-23 08:52
    I dont' use HTTP with the lantronix. It is straid forward like a serial tunnel. It stays connected if nothings is going wrong. The service is requesting from time to time information. If for some reasone the connection is dropping the service is retrying to establisch the connection on interval. If it is back up it can recieve the information frome where it stopped.
    Ok but a browser uses HTTP and that was one of your questions. It sounds like you open a socket and stream information down the pipe. You can do the same with the Spinneret. I image a dedicated COG would handle the continuous stream.
    I have some projects comming up where I need to do this (logging to an sql for long term ) but also visualize the information localy (short term) The end user is asking to do that true his brouwser. The lantronix is not suited for that (or not on an easy base. I know the AR xport of lantronix can do that) So that is wy I 'm trieing to figure out if the spinneret can help in that. (Do serial tunnaling on tcp/ip port 3001 and server web pages on port 80 if requested by a client brouwser.) The connection on port 3001 stays open all the time.

The Spinneret (W5100) has 4 configurable hardware sockets. One socket can handle port 3001 while another handles port 80 traffic.

Checkout the datasheets
    http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/txtSearch/spinneret/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/710/Default.aspx
  • stefstef Posts: 173
    edited 2011-05-24 05:03
    Hi Mike

Thanks for the information. I orderd a spinneret to test a bit. It will be deliverd in a few days.

Stef