Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Is my BS2 screwed up? — Parallax Forums

Is my BS2 screwed up?

NoNo Posts: 26
edited 2011-05-22 05:51 in BASIC Stamp
For some reason all but two of my i/o pins flicker on and off repeatedly (noted on debug terminal). example: i have a normally open switch tied into pin 4. when the switch is open it flickers via debug 0 1 repeaedly. but when the switch is close a steady 1 is displayed. my setup: from Vdd--->N.O Sw---->220 ohm resistor---->P4 (from the 220 resistor i also have a 10k pull down resistor to Vss). Not sure whats going on, dont think i cross/short anything. Would appreciate the help if any. Thanks

Also, i took the switch out to see if it was the root of the problem. no dice. I tried different I/O same thing. Then debugged all of the I/O that i wasnt 4 thru 9, and they all were flickering

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2011-05-21 20:56
    So, you have the COMmon terminal of the relay contacts connected to the Stamp via a 220Ω?

How does it go if you connect Vdd to the N.C. terminal instead (instead of to N.O.)?
  • Kirk FraserKirk Fraser Posts: 364
    edited 2011-05-21 21:35
    I can't say with precision but I had something like that happen and it turned out to be a short, then the whole chip went bad. There are also grounding problems to deal with. What was your switch connected to, ground, +5, or something else? Is it a rusty switch?

First, take your BS2 out of whatever circuit you have it in and see if it can still be programmed. If so, it's likely still ok.

Always wire with the power off so you can't short anything temporarily, then turn it on after you're done.

If still having problems, post a picture and a schematic then someone will be able to figure out what you are doing better than with the text you posted.
  • NoNo Posts: 26
    edited 2011-05-22 05:51
    I can't say with precision but I had something like that happen and it turned out to be a short, then the whole chip went bad. There are also grounding problems to deal with. What was your switch connected to, ground, +5, or something else? Is it a rusty switch?

First, take your BS2 out of whatever circuit you have it in and see if it can still be programmed. If so, it's likely still ok.

Always wire with the power off so you can't short anything temporarily, then turn it on after you're done.

If still having problems, post a picture and a schematic then someone will be able to figure out what you are doing better than with the text you posted.
    Switch was new, pick it up from radio shack last week. I'll give those suggestions a try and see what happens. I did notice however that while I can still program and upload. The upload is not as fast as it was before I threw that switch in the mix. Went from a split second to about a second or maybe two for uploading now. I'll take a picture and post in a bit.
    PJ Allen wrote: »
    So, you have the COMmon terminal of the relay contacts connected to the Stamp via a 220Ω?

How does it go if you connect Vdd to the N.C. terminal instead (instead of to N.O.)?

I will give this a try, my other two switches in the circuit are normally close and there still fine

Thanks for your response guys.