Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Why a Builders Forum? — Parallax Forums

Why a Builders Forum?

BumpBump Posts: 592
edited 2012-07-30 09:11 in Robotics
Why Indeed!

What's the general purpose of this thread?
We have recently received requests that people, our lovely forum's users, would like to have a specific location for which to discuss the nature, manner, or other associated descriptive-word in which they create, fabricate, or otherwise assemble their projects and/or products.

Thus - This forum was born!

What can I discuss in here?
Carte Blanche? Almost, we'll still be moderating. Topics specifically relating to or for the purposes of creation and assembly. If you're an expert with tips about how to best assemble, machine, or duct tape a project together; this would be the place to boast such expertise. If you're new and still trying not to put scratches onto your freshly out-of-the-box lathe, and require some assistance making sure everything is good to go; this is the place to ask your questions.

Feel free to go a bit off topic as long as it is tied to the original post, in some fashion, and please as always be respectful.

Comments

• BrowserBrowser Posts: 84
    edited 2011-05-19 19:20
    mr bump,

ur kitty-bashing avatar displeezes me. pleeze confine bumps to dogz.

thank u,
    browz
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2011-05-19 19:26
    Browser wrote: »
    mr bump,

ur kitty-bashing avatar displeezes me...

Browser,

I think you have misinterpreted the kitty video. It's not a bashing process being demonstrated but instead a separation process. I'm sure Mr. Bump was only demonstrating how to separate two cats that have accidently joined themselves with superglue.
  • xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2011-05-20 11:10
    Happy to see this forum - I'm very particular about making my finished projects look professional (and if possible, like they are right out of the Star-Trek universe!) - but my knowledge of odd materials, hard-to-find or custom connectors, or bizarre machining requirements is not always up to the task. I'm sure I'll be using this forum frequently.

And FWIW, I approve of all avatars depicting cute fuzzy cats and/or kittens that further demonstrate their cuteness :-)

Dave
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2011-05-22 11:26
    Kitties speaking: I will proxy speak for the cute kitties and I have one big headache! Ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch... How about bumping snowflakes instead? The collective beauty of coalescing snowflakes..

Dave: I'm really looking forward to seeing your Star Trek Universe projects!

ElectricAye: did you ever superglue one part of your body to another body part and then undergo the separation process? Ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ...

:)
  • xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2011-05-22 19:57
    Humanoido wrote: »
    Dave: I'm really looking forward to seeing your Star Trek Universe projects!

Have you seen my voice-controlled, speaking home automation system yet? If I could get Majel Barret's voice it would be just like the original!
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2011-05-25 22:16
    Thank you for this forum!!!

I'm fairly handy when it comes to fixing a computer, reasonable decent at soldering up my own projects, and becoming better at Spin every month, but when it comes to drilling a proper hole, or cutting a straight line, I'm burnt toast!

I'll be on regular lurker mode here looking for good tips on design and tool use.

OBC
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-05-25 22:23
    Bump, Parallax,

Thank you for creating this forum. And thanks especially for calling it a "builders" forum and not a "makers" forum. The latter term has become so trivialized by the O'Reilly crowd and others of that ilk that I nearly wretch every time I see it.

-Phil
  • bsnutbsnut Posts: 521
    edited 2011-05-26 19:29
    This is going to be cool tread and glad that Parallax started this.
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2011-06-19 13:28
    Thanks
    '
    Bump & Parallax
    '
    Builders Forum is a great name for it to.
  • yarisboyyarisboy Posts: 245
    edited 2011-06-29 11:30
    Perfect! I'm using up some legacy 30 amp continuous IGBTs, HGTG32N60E2
    I'll need to fabricate a heat sink system for them. Because the tabs are connected to the collectors I'll need to pass the heat through an insulator or, have individual metal heat sinks insulated from everything in the air flow. At work I repaired a small VFD. On that one the six tabs of the 5 amp IGBTs were clamped to a heat spreader with a plastic clamp and a thin sheet of silicon rubber between the tabs and the aluminum. In the first project I'll have four charging a two capacitor stack and four in the H-pattern on the inverter side.
  • EvanVHEvanVH Posts: 3
    edited 2012-07-30 09:11
    If anybody has a question about machinery and everything else dealing with machining. Read The Machinery Handbook. I started to Fabricating/machining in 1986. If I have a questions this is the first place to go. If you have any questions please ask I am more than willing help and if I don’t know I will find out. I have very little working experience with microcontrollers/robots thats why I am here. Great forum thank all of you very much.

Evan