Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
no stamp found (but debug works) — Parallax Forums

no stamp found (but debug works)

edited 2011-05-19 15:51 in BASIC Stamp
I am brabd new to basic stamp. we have several items that use the stamps at work but a former employee did a number on them. I am trying to reload the original programs but when i click run it says no stamp found but when i open the debug terminal i can see the program running. any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-05-18 19:28
    The Stamp has to be forced to reset by the Stamp Editor to be "found" or programmed. This requires that DTR (a serial control line) be connected to the ATN pin of the Stamp. See page 28 of the BASIC Stamp Syntax and Reference Manual for a schematic. If you're using a USB to Serial Adapter, some of them don't implement DTR properly. If you're using the default Windows USB to Serial driver, it doesn't do DTR properly. The DEBUG statement doesn't use DTR (or ATN). The solution is to get a USB to Serial Adapter that uses the FTDI chip like those that Parallax sells and to use the FTDI USB driver. If your PC has "real" serial ports, you may be able to use the serial port directly. Again, look on page 28 for details. This Manual is also included with the Stamp Editor's help files.
  • edited 2011-05-18 19:35
    i am in fact using a computer with "real" serial ports. All of the stamp hardware and software was purchased by the company who produce the exhibits but they went out of business about three years ago. where would i find the aformention documentation?
    edited 2011-05-18 20:04
    On the main Parallax webpage, you'll see a Downloads button. Click on that and you'll see another page with Stamp Software and Stamp Documentation buttons. The first will have a link for the Stamp Editor which is used for editing, debugging, and downloading Stamp programs. The second will have the BASIC Stamp Syntax and Reference Manual. The Stamp Editor's installer will put a copy of this Manual and others in the Stamp Editor's help files. There's lots of other excellent tutorials and manuals on the Downloads webpage and you'll find other useful stuff using the Resources button on the main webpage. When you have time, do some exploring.
  • edited 2011-05-18 20:07
    i found the manual but honestly it was no help to me. the stamp is on a control board manufactured by a third party company. the idea was supposed to be that we could plug them in and load the program and be done. i am unable to reach out to the company who made these as they are no longer around. i am forced to assume all the connections are correct fro the chip because all of the chips do the same thing. i can watch them in the debug window but thats it. i know one of our former techs was able to load programs onto the chips if fact i'm trying to undo what he did. should i have a certain type of serial cable? what setting should i have on my com port? i'm not very well versed in proper terminology so the simpler you can explain it the better. really really really thank you for any help you can give me.
    edited 2011-05-18 20:18
    There are no special settings for the com port. The Stamp Editor sets up what it needs. If you're getting DEBUG output, it's already done that. As far as the serial cable is concerned, it should have wires for ground Rx, Tx, DTR, Gnd, DSR and RTS. The first 4 are the really important ones (pins 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7). Again, refer to page 28 for details. Since you're getting DEBUG output, the cable is probably ok.

It's possible that the board doesn't normally have DTR connected to the ATN pin of the Stamp module to prevent changing the program. Without a schematic or a really good picture of the board, it's impossible to tell.
  • edited 2011-05-18 20:39
    DSCI0140.jpg
    DSCI0141.jpg
    from what i've read so far and what you have told me i believe the board is designed so that the two terminal blocks provide a mean to connect to the 24 pins of the stamp(BS2).also i'm pretty sure i've identified the ATN pin but what is DTR?
    1024 x 768 - 75K
    1024 x 768 - 57K
  • edited 2011-05-18 20:48
    just read a little more and was able to trace the connection from the ATN pin to pin 4 of the serial connector which from what i can tell is the DTR thing. Going to call it a night and try a diffent cable tomorrow on the off chance that the cable i'm using has a short on the exacl leg i need. don't have a multimeter here at home s i can't check for continuity tonight. thank you for your help i'm sure i'll be back with more questions tommorrow
    edited 2011-05-18 20:50
    C1 and C2 are probably the capacitors shown in the schematic on page 28 of the Manual. I don't see any jumpers preventing their connection to pin 4 of the DB9 (serial) connector. You should be able to connect a serial cable from this board to a PC's serial port and get the Stamp Editor to "identify" the board. Remember that power has to be applied to the board for this to work.
  • edited 2011-05-18 20:53
    i read that some toshiba laptops have issues similar to this, i'm using an HP running windows vista. is this possibly the issue?
    edited 2011-05-18 21:24
    No. The Stamp Editor has been tested with all versions of Windows from XP to the present and should work. Similarly, if it has a COM port, it should work. It could be your cable though. That's been known to happen.
  • vaclav_salvaclav_sal Posts: 451
    edited 2011-05-19 15:51
    I do not dare highjack this thread. I attempted some basic technical explanation in this one

No stamp found... here we go again, and again... Editorial rant

I believe you have incomplete connection as far as PC (editor) and your circuit with Stamp module on is concerned.
    The simplest test is to remove power from the Stamp and have standard COM / DB9 / RS232 connection between PC and Stamp.
    If you not get pass "Stamp not found" and do no identify the COM port you have either bad cable or the 6 to 7 short is not there.

The Stamp is doing exctly what it is supposed to do - power on resets and starts running current program which lucily has some DEBUGs in it so you know it is running.

I bet you cannot download new program. .

I would not start fixing this by going to USB now. If you have serial COM cable use it.
    Cheers
    Vaclav