Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
tracking solar array - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

tracking solar array

13»

Comments

• JamesfdeanJamesfdean Posts: 1
    edited 2011-06-17 11:30
    I've been using a two axis tracking array that I built with a BS2, a motion Mind MMC drive, and four TI light to frequency chips. It is a very simple code that adjusts for light conditions and resets at low light to catch early morning sun. It has been in operation for around ten years with no problems.
  • mmorelandmmoreland Posts: 89
    edited 2011-06-18 08:19
    James Dean: Are you willing to share more information about your controller? I sent an email request; should be in "notifications."
  • KievlaninKievlanin Posts: 55
    edited 2012-05-24 12:22
    Guys, I would like to join a discussion.
    I am building a residential Solar Tracker.
    It is now near completion.
    But I am desperately need help with electronics.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2012-05-24 20:25
    @Kievlanin start your own thread with your questions "help with electronics" is not descriptive.
    edited 2012-05-25 07:27
    I just want to add to discussion, that In my view the best way to get most out PV panel is to track Sun astronomically.
    Adjustment need to be 10degrees ahead of the Sun.
    Every 20degrees will be very effective.
    Electronics must in SLEEP mode b-n adjustments.
  • OrbilusOrbilus Posts: 10
    edited 2012-06-11 12:03
    I think erco has the right answer; Low tech, easy to hook up and shhhh don't tell anyone... no microcontroller required. http://solartracker.greenwatts.info/solar_tracker_LM339_schematic.htm

Looking at the overwhelming nuclear response, you may have your issue solved.

However... if not
    This circuit has the ability to continually track the brightest light source wether its the sun, overcast sky, street light, even a full moon. your solar panels never need to sleep!
    solar_tracker_LM339_schematic.gif

parts for the attached schematic only cost about $4.50 USD (Q1 and Q2, would need to be able to handle the current rating of your motor) and so easy a 'mechanic' could do it!! The website above really goes into depth to explain how everything works.

This schematic can be readily adapted to the BS series microcontrollers however for use with the CoolMuscle series motors with only a few lines of code.
    edited 2012-06-20 06:41
    Nice idea, very nice.
  • Mark KiblerMark Kibler Posts: 546
    edited 2012-11-29 08:23
    Erco, It is amazing isn't it? I think those ancients sat there under a high desert sky and their curiosity awoke. They were great observers, not just at one point in time, but most important to connect the dots at many points in time, season after season, and that led to the wisdom of prediction. But where did they all go and why? [IMG]file:///Users/thomasallen/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG] What could the people of Chaco done with the energy from solar panels? Those Kivas could be pretty dark and smoky, I think.

I appreciate Michael's approach, good observation to create an annual record of the best panel angle. He is following the path toward the ancient wisdom!

Tracy,

Your breadth of knowledge constantly amazes me and I'll never forget all the help you gave my students and I. Andrew (the ARLISS team captain) sent a Propeller-based balloon payload into the stratosphere last summer as part of a University of New Hampshire summer program. He's already received scholarships for college, thanks to your tutelage. Molly, Tyler and Christopher are halfway through college now and I'm here in Jordan teaching biology and AP environmental science at King's Academy.

I'm here on-line researching ways to make a 2-axis solar tracker for a solar array and I saw your post. I hope all is well with you and your family.

With warm regards,

Mark