Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp 2 Connection Problem — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp 2 Connection Problem

bbzz24bbzz24 Posts: 5
edited 2011-05-17 12:05 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,
I am new to Basic Stamp 2 and trying to establish a connection to it from my Windows XP PC but it just does not recognize the microcontroller. I have already installed the Basic Stamp Editor and the USB driver and connecting through a USB to Serial cable and the Windows Device Manager finds something, the USB-Serial Controller on the second image, but does not recognize what it is. The editor recongizes only port 1 on my PC. The microcontroller is connected to a 9V battery to the right, the jumpers to the left connect to pins 2(green), 3(yellow), 4(gray), 5(black) of a DB9 serial end. When I attempt to power the microcontroller through pin 21 at 5V from a motor driver, it blinks as if the microcontroller is not connected to the power according to the motor driver's documentation.
Please help if you have any idea what might be wrong with my setup.

IMG_20110517_174108.jpg

BS2.PNG

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-05-17 08:11
    What USB-Serial adapter are you using? Remember that USB drivers are device specific. The one that comes with the Stamp Editor is for a USB-Serial adapter that uses the FTDI chip. It won't work with other manufacturer's adapters.
  • bbzz24bbzz24 Posts: 5
    edited 2011-05-17 08:27
    I am using a generic one, cant crack it open to see the chip inside. Any suggestions how I can establish a connection, I need to get it working within a couple of days with some basic operations.

IMG_20110517_182025.jpg
    edited 2011-05-17 08:38
    Generic USB-Serial Adapters are often problematic. The default driver in Windows will not work with the Stamp Editor and the program download process (and Stamp identify process) and some USB-Serial adapters just don't have all the proper signal lines implemented (DTR specifically). Pretty much any adapter with the FTDI chip will work and the Keyspan High Speed Serial Adapter works. No guarantees about anything else.
    edited 2011-05-17 08:44
    Also look at the schematic on page 28 of the BASIC Stamp Syntax and Reference Manual. You'll see that there are two capacitors in the circuit. Although sometimes things will work without them, often they're necessary.
  • vaclav_salvaclav_sal Posts: 451
    edited 2011-05-17 10:47
    If you check the Properties of the USB Serial controller in Device Manager you will find that it is not functioning.
    Hence the ? with ! Icon.

You have COM1 available ( Active per Device Manager) . What is stopping you from using it?
    Mike is being very nice, but using generic USB converter is a time consuming and eventually loosing battle.
    Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!
    Vaclav
    edited 2011-05-17 11:02
    @Mike: Just adding 2 capacitors did not help.
    @Vaclav: I have three USB ports, one IR, and one 15 pin serial for my monitor, I tried all USB ports, it is not working on any of them.

Is the Board of Education Development Board (USB) possible solution to this problem?
    edited 2011-05-17 11:44
    Mike,
    I installed the driver for the USB adapter from a CD I had forgotten about, now I see the Basic Stamp 2 on port 4, the Loopback reads No, the Echo Yes.
    What does this mean?
    edited 2011-05-17 11:50
    It was worth a try to see if the capacitors would help, but I think you've got a more fundamental problem with the USB to RS232 serial adapter and its driver.

The Board of Education (BOE) USB Development Board has a built-in USB to serial adapter using the FTDI chip and is compatible with the driver included with the Stamp Editor. It is one possible solution to this problem. You can also get a Parallax USB to RS232 serial adapter. This does still require the capacitors. The BOE USB Board has the capacitors built-in.
    edited 2011-05-17 11:54
    Loopback simply means that the connection between DSR and RTS in the schematic on page 28 of the Manual is present. It's used to check simply if the cable is ok. Echo means that the Stamp is echoing characters sent by the PC back to the PC. It just means that some of the input circuitry on the Stamp module is working. For the Stamp to identify itself, the Stamp has to be running (power has to be present) and the DTR (ATN) circuitry has to work properly as well as the serial port between the Stamp and the PC.

Loopback can be No and the Stamp and Stamp Editor will still work. It's just a warning that something else may be broken.
    edited 2011-05-17 12:05
    Mike,
    Thanks for the guidance.
    I was thinking about the USB to RS-232 adapter, but I simply do not have the time to wait for an overseas order. I could execute the Hello World command, so I can continue with BS2 as it is my preferred microcontroller.