Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 PULSIN issue — Parallax Forums

BS2 PULSIN issue

Wu HaoxuanWu Haoxuan Posts: 14
edited 2011-05-20 10:23 in BASIC Stamp
Hello, I am using a BS2 in an application where I need to measure the period of a square wave signal. I am using the PULSIN command to measure the high and low segments of the square independently.

I am having a problem: the PULSIN measurements are, for the most part, way off.

Whereas the high should be around 2 ms and the low 12 ms (that's milliseconds), I get between 2 us and 50 us for both (that's microseconds). The issue is prevalent; only about 1 in 20 measurements are anywhere close to being accurate. I'm using an oscilloscope to monitor the signal so I know what times to expect.

I'm pretty new to programming the BS2, and my PULSIN program is very simple:

trigger PIN 4
scale CON $200 'scale for STAMP
hitime VAR Word(5) 'variable assignments for measured quantities
lotime VAR Word(5)
totime VAR Word 'variable assignments for calculated quantities
plscnt VAR Nib 'variable assignments for counters

PAUSE 1000

Prompt: 'Sub-program for user prompt
DO
DEBUG CLS, "Press button to measure ",
"vibrational period:", CR
IF (trigger = 1) THEN EXIT
PAUSE 250
LOOP
GOTO Acquire

Acquire: 'Sub-program for hitime and lotime measurements
plscnt=0
DO WHILE (plscnt<5)
PULSIN 0, 1, hitime(plscnt)
PULSIN 2, 0, lotime(plscnt)
plscnt=plscnt+1
LOOP
GOTO Calculate

The DO...LOOP stuff and the "plscnt" variable are there to let me record 5 sets of data. I didn't bother showing my subprogram for the calculation and the rest, since I can't even get it to give me sensible values for the measurements. The trigger is just an ordinary pushbutton setup and it seems to work just fine. The signal being measured comes from a pressure sensor whose output is squared off by a pre-amp circuit. The pre-amp's signal wire is connected to both pins 0 and 2 of the BS2, as well as being connected to the BoE's Vss pin via a 10k resistor. I've also connected the pre-amp's ground wire to the Vss pin to establish a common ground.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-05-12 16:02
    It's always hard to tell for sure when you've only posted fragments of the program, but you're using two PULSIN statements in a row. The first looks for a positive going edge on pin 0 and measures the width of the pulse. The second looks for a negative going edge on pin 2 and measures the width as well. Important is that there's a short delay after the first PULSIN is satisfied until the second PULSIN starts to look for the negative edge. Since pin 2 is derived from the signal on pin 0, you will miss the edge and measure the width of the next pulse which may not be what you want. In general, it's bad practice to connect two microcontroller I/O pins together. It should work normally, but programming errors do occur and you could accidentally set both I/O pins to output mode and have the two pins in opposite output states which might burn out or damage one or the other I/O pins.

What sort of pulse widths are you trying to measure?
  • Wu HaoxuanWu Haoxuan Posts: 14
    edited 2011-05-12 16:19
    Mike Green wrote: »
    It's always hard to tell for sure when you've only posted fragments of the program, but you're using two PULSIN statements in a row. The first looks for a positive going edge on pin 0 and measures the width of the pulse. The second looks for a negative going edge on pin 2 and measures the width as well. Important is that there's a short delay after the first PULSIN is satisfied until the second PULSIN starts to look for the negative edge. Since pin 2 is derived from the signal on pin 0, you will miss the edge and measure the width of the next pulse which may not be what you want. In general, it's bad practice to connect two microcontroller I/O pins together. It should work normally, but programming errors do occur and you could accidentally set both I/O pins to output mode and have the two pins in opposite output states which might burn out or damage one or the other I/O pins.

What sort of pulse widths are you trying to measure?

Thanks for the speedy reply Mike! I am measuring the output of a pressure sensor, which is a somewhat complicated waveform. I'm only interested in the fundamental oscillation frequency, so I have built a circuit that filters out the overtones, amplifies the signal and squares it off. The result is a square wave with about a 3V amplitude. Typically the high and low segments are of different lengths, which is why I need to measure both. This is mainly due to the way I've built my pre-amp circuit.

I understand what you mean about a programming error potentially causing an issue with two I/O pins wired together, and I hadn't even anticipated that. So thanks for the heads up. I suppose I'd want to perform both measurements on the same pin.

One of the reasons I had set it up this way was because I was trying to make sure I could measure the high and low of a single cycle. From what you're saying it seems that won't be exactly possible (if there has to be some reset time between PULSIN measurements).

By the way, how much delay is sufficient between PULSIN commands?
    edited 2011-05-12 17:55
    Check here under the "app-notes" link for timing information for Stamp Basic. It's not that you need additional delays between PULSIN statements. The issue is that there will be some delay even if you follow one PULSIN with another PULSIN and the PULSIN statement requires an edge so you'll miss the negative going edge and catch the next one.

To do what you want (measure the width of the positive going pulse and the "space" between pulses), you should consider using a Propeller (like a SpinStamp). This can easily measure both widths with 12.5ns resolution.
    edited 2011-05-12 18:27
    I see, Mike. That table says the PULSIN command takes 240 us to execute. That could be related to the problem I'm having, although the pulses I'm measuring are roughly 10 times that long (or more). Still, I don't see how this explains the numbers I'm seeing. Even if I was catching the next edge, the measured numbers would be still be on the same order of magnitude as what's expected. I'm getting the smallest numbers the BS2 can even measure with PULSIN (2 us).

I've simplified everything and using a single input pin just tried to measure a single high pulse. On just about every attempt I get a very small number. This was working when I first set it up, and all my components check out, so I wonder if I've damaged the BS2 module in some way.

I'm interested in your suggestion of using a Propeller for this aplication. Is it just for the better resolution, or are there other reasons I might prefer it?
    edited 2011-05-12 20:00
    If there was noise on the pins you're trying to measure, that would account for falsely low PULSIN numbers. Without a lot more information (like schematics, full listings, etc.) it's hard to give you more specific advice. Have you used your 'scope to look at the signal on pins 0 and 2? What does that look like?

The Propeller is faster, has higher resolution, more memory, and is easier to use for this sort of measurement. You can use a pair of built-in cog counters to count the time a signal spends low and the time it spends high. You can track the signal edges easily and save the counter contents after the edge transition, all with a resolution of 12.5ns.
    edited 2011-05-12 22:43
    Okay, so I simplified everything to try to troubleshoot this issue with fewer things going on. I set up a program to continuously measure the high and low segments and display the values on the debug screen. Here's the code:

' {$STAMP BS2}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}
    'Program for pressure measurement
    hitime VAR Word 'variable assignments for measured quantities
    lotime VAR Word
    totime VAR Word 'variable assignments for calculated quantities

DEBUG CLS, "vibrational period:", CR
    PAUSE 250
    '

DO

PULSIN 0, 1, hitime
    PAUSE 100
    PULSIN 0, 0, lotime
    PAUSE 100

totime = lotime + hitime
    DEBUG CLS,
    "hitime lotime Totime",
    CRSRXY,1,2,DEC hitime,
    CRSRXY,12,2,DEC lotime,
    CRSRXY, 23, 2, DEC totime,
    CR,CR,CR
    PAUSE 100
    LOOP

When I watch this program loop, I get a lot of 1s and 2s and a few 3s in the hitime variable. I get bigger values in the lotime, from 10 to 100. These are well below what is expected.

As for the input signal, it's relatively noise free. According to my scope, any noise and ripple that I'm seeing is well below 100 mV amplitude. Furthermore there are no traces of spikes with the durations that I'm seeing from the PULSIN measurements. The square itself usually has a rise/fall time of approximately 75 us. The high segment of the square is very stable, and it lasts typically about 750 us. The low segment of the square lasts about 6500 us.

Even if I just measure the high of the square by itself (or the low by itself), I get the same values. I tested the BS2 chip and PULSIN using a simple discharging RC circuit and it performed as expected.

Do you think the issue could be related to the rise/fall time of the square wave? Perhaps I need to find a faster op-amp IC for my pre-amp circuitry...
    edited 2011-05-13 06:33
    The rise/fall time is what's causing the problem. This is well over the resolution of the pulse measurement (2us). As the waveform is rising or falling through the BS2's threshold, there may be a little noise or ripple on the waveform and the BS2 sees that as a new pulse edge, hence the short pulse readings (2us or 4us). You could either use a faster op-amp or just a Schmitt trigger buffer.
    edited 2011-05-13 08:05
    Thank you Mike, that makes sense. I'll let you know if shortening the rise/fall time cures the issue. This is probably a common knowledge thing in the electronics engineering field (and I'm an amateur!), but what is a good rise time for the BS2 to consistently detect an upward swing without false triggering?

You've piqued my interest in the Propeller chip. I started using the BS2 mainly because a friend of mine had an extra one lying around and he thought it might be useful for my work. I've found it pretty simple to program (the Basic Stamp Manual has been very helpful). Is the SpinStamp software as easy to learrn as PBASIC?
    edited 2011-05-13 09:11
    As a first order "guess", I'd say that the minimum rise / fall time would have to be less than the PULSIN resolution (2us). Since the PIC16F57 inside the BS2 uses a 20MHz clock, the rise / fall time should be less than the clock period (roughly 50ns).

There are a lot of different programming tools for the Propeller. There are several Spin compilers / assemblers, a free C compiler, PropBasic which compiles to Spin/assembler. There's a Forth and a graphical programming system (12Blocks) as well. I mentioned the SpinStamp mostly because you might be able to substitute that for your Stamp. The Propeller has 3.3V logic I/O pins while the Stamp uses 5V logic. Depending on what you have connected to your Stamp, you might manage to switch with only a couple of 2.2K series resistors added in the I/O leads. You also have to do the program downloading via a PropClip adapter or equivalent rather than the circuit on your Stamp board. At one point I had done this with a BoeBot. I added a couple of resistors in series with the I/O pins to the servos, the PING, and the IR detectors. I changed the resistor values in series with the IR LEDs since the 3.3V outputs of the SpinStamp require a lower resistor value for the same output current. That was it. For programming, I'd start with PropBasic since it's similar to the PBasic that you've already learned. You'll need to use BST (Brad's Spin Tool) rather than the Propeller Tool with PropBasic and both are available for Windows, Linux and the MacOS.
    edited 2011-05-13 14:19
    I built a Schmitt Trigger to sharpen up my square wave. I got the rise/fall time down to about 1-2 us, and the issue seems to be resolved!

After a little error analysis, it seems the precision of these measurements is right on the border of what is acceptable for this appliction. I'll have to take some more data and look into it further. I suppose the Propeller would be much more precise with its high time resolution.

Thanks for all your help Mike. I will definitely look into the Propeller more deeply.
  • vaclav_salvaclav_sal Posts: 451
    edited 2011-05-13 17:56
    Just curious – what is the expected delay between the trigger and the first expected low to high transition?

You have mentioned using scope and the expected pulse to be clean, I am curious how your signal looks before the first expected low to high transition. Is it really clean low?
    Can you trigger your scope on your button pres?
    Do you by any chance have button bounce signal instead of clean low?

You are collecting five samples than calculating average.
    Would it work for you to have an initial trigger monitoring just simple change from low to high and then take your samples using PULSIN?

And as Mike said – you will not get expected results using PULSIN consecutively.

I am having hard time buying into dependency on waveform / signal rise / fall time, the processor is digital and process only high or low values in well defined tolerances.
    If PULSIN measures 2 us it must see 2 us signal.

Vaclav
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2011-05-14 07:56
    vaclav_sal made the statement, "If PULSIN measures 2 us it must see 2 us signal" (emphasis mine.)

If the PULSIN pin gets popped with a 1us lo-hi-lo is the result 0 or 1?

If the PULSIN pin gets popped with a 3us lo-hi-lo is the result 1 or 2?
    edited 2011-05-14 09:07
    If the PULSIN pin gets popped with a 1us lo-hi-lo is the result 0 or 1?
    Yes (it depends on when the pulse occurs)
    If the PULSIN pin gets popped with a 3us lo-hi-lo is the result 1 or 2?
    I think so, but I'm not sure. It depends on exactly how the PULSIN is handled in the PBasic interpreter.

Regarding slow rise / fall time, reread my message #8. These gates are very fast and have high gain. A "square wave" that takes 75us to rise spends nearly forever near the switching threshold as far as a gate that responds to 10ns signals is concerned. This threshold may be well under 100mV high and relatively short noise pulses can easily cause the gate to behave as if it had seen a valid pulse come through. That's why Schmitt triggers are used on slowly changing inputs to digital logic.
    edited 2011-05-18 10:16
    @vaclav_sal...The pressure sensor is already active when I press the button to trigger measurements, so the delay between the trigger and the first 0-1 transition is basically random but less than ~15ms (the period of the square wave). In fact, many times there will be a 1-0 transition after the trigger and before the first 0-1 transition.

The button bounce shouldn't affect my measurements, since I'm not measuring the signal on the I/O pin connected to the pushbutton.

You may not buy into it, but the Schmitt Trigger (ST) cured the issue I was having. Aside from inverting the signal, the only other effect of the ST was to sharpen up the square wave. Since it fixed the problem, I tend to believe the slowness of the transition was the cause. I mean, you're right, the processor itself is seeing a 2 us (approximately) pulse and it is calculating it as such. But the processor is being tricked by the gate that is actually monitoring the signal. If the signal voltage spends a lot of time near the threshold level, it makes sense that ANY amount of noise can cause the gate to register a very rapid 0-1-0 transition. From what I've read, this is one of the problems that the Schmitt Trigger is designed to fix (as Mike Green points out).

@PJ Allen...point taken.

Okay, so two of you have said using consecutive PULSIN commands will not give expected results. First, I'd like to note that the measurement sub-program seems to run fine like this...

plscnt=0
    DO WHILE (plscnt<5)
    PULSIN 0, 1, hitime(plscnt)
    PULSIN 0, 0, lotime(plscnt)
    plscnt=plscnt+1
    LOOP
    GOTO Calculate

Now that I have a more square-ish square wave, the results are quite consistent with measurements made on an oscilloscope.

In what ways might these results be flawed? And what would be a better way to set it up?
    edited 2011-05-18 18:11
    In my view the first PULSIN looks for 0 to 1 transition (pulse start) AND for then for 1 to 0 transition
    (pulse end). If the 1 to 0 transition comes before timeout you get the pulse width and now the signal is 0 and the first PULSIN “exits”.
    Now the second PULSIN looks for 1 to 0 transition and since the signal is 0 it will time out.

In other words you are trying to read the tail end of the 1 to 0 (positive pulse) by one PULSIN and the start of “low” pulse in the other. But they are identical part of the waveform.

But if it works for you do not fix it.
    Vaclav
    edited 2011-05-18 22:28
    I'm pretty sure there are no time out problems. I have it set up to monitor the variable values in the debug window. I consistently get nonzero values, whereas the BS2 stores a zero when PULSIN times out.

Also, if this were an issue, my random triggerinng process would cause time out problems as well. But it works just fine.
    edited 2011-05-19 07:12
    My apology,
    I missed something in my analysis.

Depending on the period of the signal (no timeouts) using two consecutive PULSIN like this every other pulse plus next pulse, either low to high to high to low (positive ) or high to low to low to high ( negative) will be skipped over.

You are measuring first positive pule, skip over negative pulse and next positive pulse and than measure negative pulse.

But if it works for you , fine.
    edited 2011-05-20 09:56
    You are measuring first positive pule, skip over negative pulse and next positive pulse and than measure negative pulse.

I figured that might be the case. It's acceptable, and I seem to be getting decent numbers. Ideally, however, I would like to measure the high and low of a single cycle. From what Mike Green said, the Propeller should be able to do this. Any ideas how it could be done on the BS2?
    edited 2011-05-20 10:13
    The problem with using a Stamp to do this is that the Stamp's clock is not directly accessible to the program and the Stamp is single threaded (it can do only one thing at a time). You can use a PULSIN to get a pretty accurate and good (2us) resolution pulse width. You can use a PULSOUT to generate a pulse with a pretty accurate pulse width too, but you're stuck if you want to measure something else. You could use external hardware to help. For example, you could use the negative edge of the 750us pulse to trigger an accurately timed 1ms (1000us) pulse and combine that with the 6500us or so space between pulses to get a 5500us pulse which you could measure. The 1ms time between the end of one pulse and the start of the other would allow you to use two PULSIN statements in a row.
    edited 2011-05-20 10:23
    Here is a snippet how I detect the pulse

New = INS.BIT12 '
    Change = New ^ Old ' check for change in input
    Old = New ' update

If Change then ....

I am looking just for the change only. If there is no change I just loop back..

You could use / nest two change detectors and keep counting the loops execution. Of course you would have to calcualte the actual time ( period) of the pulses manually from the instruction execution time.

Vaclav