Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Problems with HM55B compass module — Parallax Forums

Problems with HM55B compass module

schelledschelled Posts: 8
edited 2011-05-09 18:51 in Accessories
I have a HM55b compass module that I can't get to work. I have the TestHm55bCompass.bs2 software and when I run it nothing shows up in the Debug terminal screen. I have tried different modules(I have 6 of them) and that does not seem to help. I am very new at this so I am sure that it probably is something really simple

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2011-05-06 16:05
    6? I would have stopped at 3.

Could you post a quality pic of your set-up, one sufficient so discerning eyes could take stock of your situation?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-05-06 16:20
    You probably have the HM55B connected wrong or there's a problem with your cabling. It would be really helpful for you to trace through your wiring and make a schematic from what you actually have, then attach a scanned copy of your schematic to a reply. Don't make a copy of what's in the HM55B documentation. Make a schematic of what you actually have there. There's probably a difference.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2011-05-06 18:29
    Or attach a large, clear photo of your setup.
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2011-05-06 18:42
    Or attach a large, clear photo of your setup.

Wish I'd thought of that. Oh, wait - I did. :zombie:
    Could you post a quality pic of your set-up, one sufficient so discerning eyes could take stock of your situation?
    Oh well.
    :zombie:
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2011-05-08 07:23
    schelled, When You come back, could You post a picture of all Your HM55B's , and how You Wired them Up,

Usually, this Forum is pretty quick to ask for Pictures, I am not sure why no one asked for Pictures yet.
    How come No one has asked for Pictures?

Oh well, We will see You when You come back to Post about "Problems with the Compass" again.

Say schelled, if You are truly interested in the HM55B Compass Module, You could allways respond to this Post or Your original Posting.

And just in case no one has said to You, " Welcome to the Forums", Well, let Me be the first..

-Tommy
  • schelledschelled Posts: 8
    edited 2011-05-08 18:12
    Thanks for all the replies....I am using this at school that is why I have 6 of the modules and also why I have not replied to this post because I usually try and forget about school on the wkends....I will post a picture of the setup on Monday..
    edited 2011-05-09 10:18
    Here is the diagram of the way I have it hooked up...
    488 x 345 - 14K
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2011-05-09 10:36
    The PDF from the Parallax site shows connections to P4, P5, P6. I assume that corresponds with the sample code that they published, but it seems a search on the Parallax site does not yield the code. I may have it backed up somewhere. Checking.
    edited 2011-05-09 11:01
    Found the program you are using with a Google search. That program is also using pin P4, P5, and P6, (pins 9,10,11).

I think that is your problem. You do not have the HM55B connected to the correct pins on the Stamp.

HM55 Connection.png
    401 x 287 - 67K
    edited 2011-05-09 12:46
    Yes, check that You are using the Correct Pins, it is an easy thing to miss.

-Tommy
    edited 2011-05-09 13:28
    Yes, I said that. Can somebody tell me why people capitalize the Y in "You" in the middle of a sentence? It's not correct. Sorry. I'm not picking on this isolated indecent. I'ts been building up in me for months. ( PJ, get my back :)
    Ttailspin wrote: »
    Yes, check that You are using the Correct Pins, it is an easy thing to miss.

-Tommy
    edited 2011-05-09 13:38
    That fixed it, thanks for your help
    edited 2011-05-09 13:46
    Good deal.

Sorry tailspin, not picking on you. :)
    edited 2011-05-09 18:51
    Post #11 was just to agree with you about checking the correct pin usage. I should have been more clear.

As for the bad capitalization, I have to blame my other hobby for that, My other hobby is based on bad grammar, bad spelling, and bad people.

I have Been doing My other Hobby for Longer then I have been Doing the Propeller, So I have Picked Up Some Bad Habits that I don't Even Notice I am Doing.

All the extra capital letters and all the bad grammar, are used to de-educate the bad people from my other hobby.
    and after I get done with those bad people, I come here to you good people, and try to learn something new.

I really am trying to communicate correctly with all you good people, I even run the spell checker for you guys.
    Not something I would normally do for my other "friends". :smile:

I will quit rambling now, thank you, and no worries Publison, I need all the help I can get.

-Tommy

P.S. I am glad you got it worked out schelled, the HM55B is a very nice product.