Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Boe Bot using an X Bee controller — Parallax Forums

Boe Bot using an X Bee controller

CrazyrabbitCrazyrabbit Posts: 116
edited 2011-05-05 08:45 in Robotics
I reciently got my Parallax training package and have a simple question. I was going to try it out and according to the book, they used a Servo Pal module. Is the servo pal really necessary? I have all the parts except that one. It looked like the stamp has enough I/O.

Comments

• graffixgraffix Posts: 389
    edited 2011-05-04 16:51
    The servo pal allows the micro controller to do multiple things at a time.It takes over the need to constantly send a signal to the servo.
  • CrazyrabbitCrazyrabbit Posts: 116
    edited 2011-05-04 19:48
    Thanks. Another thing to buy. Would it be better to just buy the newer Parallax 16 Servo expander board? Mabe more cost effecient for expansion. I plan to do more experimenting.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2011-05-04 20:14
    Depending on the number and use of the servos an expander is a good choice. If you don't need 16 there are smaller boards available.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-05-05 08:45
    The BoeBot can do a lot without a ServoPal or other servo controller. You can add a PING and its servo bracket and the Stamp can just handle the 3 servos and PING and do some simple navigating. On the other hand, offloading the servo control pulse generation really simplifies the programming and allows much more complex navigation to be programmed. The ServoPal takes very little space or power and, most importantly, the book assumes that you're going to use it rather than something else.

Long term, you might be better off with the Propeller Servo Controller, mostly because it's a Propeller pre-programmed with a nice servo control program. It's not hard to add other features, even make it the primary controller of the BoeBot.