Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
I invented my own basic stamp — Parallax Forums

I invented my own basic stamp

oldPGMguyoldPGMguy Posts: 25
edited 2011-05-16 18:14 in BASIC Stamp
Thats right....I have developed firmware, just like in a stamp from a BS1 to a BS2P...best of all this firmware of mine with work on Amtel parts...I will call it the Postee...the firmware has all the regulars, pulsout,pause,etc...but includes analog keywords for using built in ADC's...I will make all files on
a open source site soon....just think a stamp clone for less then $5

Comments

• W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2011-05-04 14:22
    oldPGMguy wrote: »
    just think a stamp clone for less then $10

Sounds interesting but a real stamp is only $10.99.

Rich H
  • Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2011-05-04 14:29
    @oldPGMguy, please attach your source.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-05-04 14:32
    There are lots of people who have developed Basic Stamp substitutes over the years, everything from Microengineering Labs' PICBasic Pro compiler to Basic Micro's Basic Atom module series. They all have features much like those of Parallax's Stamps, in some cases with significant extensions. The experience of most people is that support is nowhere as good as Parallax's. That doesn't mean they're bad products, it's just that quality support isn't free and it doesn't come automatically with a product or a company. It has to be deliberately developed and nurtured. I've personally used PICBasic Pro and it's worked for me. I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner or someone who would have trouble digging into PIC assembler code or someone who has a project with tight memory or speed constraints that really should just be done in assembly.

Do keep in mind that this is a Parallax support forum and "advertising" something that competes with Parallax products would be in poor taste.
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2011-05-04 14:36
    So have you developed a whole development environment to go along with the firmware too?

You can get a PCB for around $3 that you can use to carry any of the more advanced OEM BASIC Stamp chips (based on the SX48 chip) that Parallax sells and build a Stamp module on a budget. With that you can use the regular Stamp development tools and get the same great support on the forum.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?114299-Carrier-PCB-for-OEM-BS2p40-Stamp-chip.

There are other variants on small BASIC like chips and the PICAXE comes to mind. However, you really need to compare them to the OEM BASIC Stamp chips (plus a resonator and EEPROM which are both inexpensive) to make a fair comparison. When you look at the finished Stamp module that also has the power conditioning/voltage regulation on board in a very small form factor.
  • oldPGMguyoldPGMguy Posts: 25
    edited 2011-05-04 15:27
    @Mike....this is not advertising, its free, thats what open source is all about...This is not pic basic, besides PIC BASIC PRO is expensive,My firmware,works just like yours..to use it will require a inexpensive usb interface,like is used with arduino's.I'm not selling anything...and for the others...this firmware acts just like a stamp...if fact the IDE is the same..just works the the 2 chips i mentioned...I'm not selling, I am giving it away for free, when, I finish the IDE programming.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-05-04 15:37
    It will be interesting to compare your system with some of the existing commercial systems when you're finished. It will also be interesting to see how your system does with the various examples, exercises, and activities in the various Parallax tutorials. BTW, I meant advertising in a more general sense. I know that open source is generally licensed for free use.
    edited 2011-05-04 15:44
    thanks Mike...I won't post anymore about it......Stamps still do rock for me...
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2011-05-04 20:10
    ...I won't post anymore about it......
    then how will we know when your done?
    edited 2011-05-10 22:02
    just check out the open source forums
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2011-05-11 10:01
    And which one would that be?
  • electrosyselectrosys Posts: 212
    edited 2011-05-11 10:50
    Need to see it to believe it.
  • cazman128cazman128 Posts: 25
    edited 2011-05-12 20:29
    electrosys wrote: »
    Need to see it to believe it.

Agreed
    edited 2011-05-15 16:38
    cazman128 wrote: »
    Agreed

agreed....I dropped the idea for posting it....too many cry babys
  • Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2011-05-15 18:14
    So let me get this straight... you developed a Basic STAMP emulator (clone) for use on Microchip and Atmel products. Very ambitious, very cool, and a lot of hardwork. You informed the Parallax community of the cost savings of your design.

However, you will not publish the source code because you feel that your hard work has not been well received on the forum. I'll paraphrase, the community members that responded are cry babies.

I, for one, am very interested in your work and would much appreciate it if you could find your way to publishing the source.
    edited 2011-05-16 18:14
    @Mike G......for now, I have stopped working on it, been busy with other projects(Honey-do's)....and my radio control planes......since the company I worked for let our workers go..and fired us lead people...I got screwed out of a pension....good thing my wife gets one....all i get is SS...being on a fixed income sucks...