Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RFID-like system to ID individuals passing through door — Parallax Forums

RFID-like system to ID individuals passing through door

xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
edited 2011-05-10 06:07 in Accessories
I'm developing a home automation system, and I'd like it to be able to know me and the household members from others. I don't want people to have to consciously swipe a card or anything so invasive as this - just something where, for example, if I walk into the house it'll tell the system it's me, or my wife, etc., just from walking casually through the door.

RFID seems to need a 3 to 5 inch distance for scanning, which means not useful for my application.

However, I read that there are identity thieves that have hand-held readers that can read your smart-cards inside your wallet! So if those guys can do that, why can't I seem to find a system that can read a custom-programmed card in my pocket that identifies me to the system...

Anyone have any ideas for me? Or know an evil identity thief who can get me a schmatic and part number? :-)

Thanks very much... this seems like it should be easy! I did get a suggestion that I tattoo a barcode on my cheek, but my wife didn't like the idea! :-)

Dave

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2011-05-03 17:10
    The only surreptitious 'Blink' reader that I've seen demo'd, and that was on "Inside Edition", had to be put up close to the victims' wallet/purse anyway.
    They were pretty close to people on escalators and so on and I wouldn't have blamed someone for issuing a rebuke (a-la " 's-troubling you, mate?")

Anyway, not as easy as falling off a log.
  • TrevorBTrevorB Posts: 2
    edited 2011-05-03 21:32
    The only time I have heard of someone reading RFID from a distance was from a car full of equipment ( http://boingboing.net/2009/02/02/us-passports-can-be.html ) and I remember reading an article in 2000 about companies using an active RF badge to track employees for telephone call transfers (sure, that's what they all say). That is all I can think of for now.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2011-05-04 09:20
    Some of these should give you ideas. http://www.google.com/search?q=long+range+rfid&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1&rlz== I've always liked the zigbeef.com site
  • xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2011-05-08 08:15
    Starting to think facial recognition technology is more accessible! :-) The RFID systems that do what I want are $3k+. I wonder how much power I can stuff into the Parallax RFID antenna before the runs glow? :-)

Dave
  • graffixgraffix Posts: 389
    edited 2011-05-08 08:46
    Maybe logging in through 4x4 key pad, 5 dollars?
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2011-05-08 11:23
    I have built systems using 2 approaches.

The simple approach used hooks for hanging car keys at the front door. Each family member had a hook for their keys, and a switch detected when there were keys present.

The second was an active IR system. A motion detector triggered the fixed IR module to transmit a "who is there" command, and a small badge worn by the employees sent an ID response.
  • RS_JimRS_Jim Posts: 1,762
    edited 2011-05-10 06:07
    Dave,
    I am aware of 2 types of RFID systems, Active and Passive. The passives are like the card readers with short read capability because the power for the transmitter in the card is supplied by the received signal from the card reader. The active systems are externally powered like the automatic toll collectors you would find on a tollroad or bridge.
    Maybe you can hack a card to use the received signal to activate a battery powered transmitter thus increasing your range.
    Jim