Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What data is actually in BS EEPROM? — Parallax Forums

What data is actually in BS EEPROM?

vaclav_salvaclav_sal Posts: 451
edited 2011-04-29 06:26 in BASIC Stamp
The questions in this post have been answered.
Thanks for all relevant comments.

There have been few posts / questions on how to retrieve code from program EEPROM.
I think most of them were directed to BS modules which have the EEPROM soldered in.
Removing the EEPROM from OEM module was to my knowledge never discussed.
So, in the temporary lull of the discussion ( I am sure it will come back again sooner or later) I do not believe anybody found a sound way to retrieve the EEPROM data.

Here are two follow up, more or less just “what if – does not really matter” questions – somewhat related - to all you gurus.

1.If I download a new program using editor “Run” does it erase all the data / tokens from the program EEPROM or just writes only the required data / tokens?

( It theory the execution of the program should take care of which memory locations are really being used and should skip the rest.)

2.Does invoking editor Memory Map reflect the actual tokens in EEPROM or just what is currently in editor?

( You can see changes in Memory Map while editing, without doing download / running the program ).

Just call me curious George.

Vaclav

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-04-28 19:55
    1) If you download a new program to the Stamp using the Stamp Editor, it overwrites the actual bytes used by the new program (including any DATA statements) and leaves everything else as is.

2) The Memory Map only reflects the code and data defined by the program. The Stamp Editor doesn't know about any other EEPROM usage.

3) If you remove the EEPROM from the OEM module, the module won't work. The EEPROM is required by the PBasic interpreter.
  • Qwaszx72Qwaszx72 Posts: 30
    edited 2011-04-29 04:38
    You have already seen my thread below:
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?131299-Tutorial-Retrieving-EEPROM-Data-From-BASIC-Stamp-Modules

It is possible to retrieve all the data by using another BASIC Stamp module with the I/O pins carefully hooked up to the pins on the EEPROM chip which is on the BS2 board. But be careful because if you mess up how you wire it up then it could ruin your BS2 module.
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2011-04-29 06:26
    Guy's getting tedious.

PE -
    It's possible to remove an eeprom, read its content with any programmer, and transfer that content to another eeprom. If you lose the/your .bs2 file then you're toast.
    When you teach, teach right things.