Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
NEW PIR Sensor — Parallax Forums

NEW PIR Sensor

Jessica UelmenJessica Uelmen Posts: 490
edited 2012-04-07 23:14 in Accessories
Hey everyone!

I just wanted let you know of the awesome updates we've made to the PIR Sensor - now for sale! We're really excited about the changes made to this sensor, and hope you enjoy them too.
555-28027a-M.jpg

Here's the rundown of latest and greatest improvements:
  • Wider Supply Voltage Range: 3 to 6 V
  • Output voltage is now within 10% of the supply voltage
  • Higher output current: 12 mA @ 3V, 23 mA @ 5V (Yes, you can now directly drive an external load!)
  • All parts SMD
  • Jumper now controls distance: up to 15 ft on short setting, 30 ft on long setting
  • Mounting holes for 2-56 sized screws
  • Onboard LED under the lens for visual movement feedback

I've attached pictures to this post, and you can also check out the updated product page & documentation here.

Questions? Comments? Let us know!

Cheers,
Jessica

Comments

• william chanwilliam chan Posts: 1,326
    edited 2011-04-27 23:57
    Hi Jessica,

Can you please check for us whether the new PIR sensor consumes more current than the old PIR sensor? (when idle and signal pin is not connected)
    We are currently in the middle of a commercial product design that uses the PIR sensor but the product runs on batteries.
    We are obviously very concerned about the current consumption figures.
  • Jessica UelmenJessica Uelmen Posts: 490
    edited 2011-05-04 08:36
    Hi William,

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. When idle, the new PIR consumes about the same amount of current as the previous version, ~130uA when no load is connected.

Hope this helps!
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2011-05-04 08:53
    Are you still going to have the old version of the sensor available as well? There may be customers that are currently using the PIR in projects and a few of the changes to the new sensor may throw them off. Although I like the changes in the new sensor I'm sure there may be people using the existing PIR in projects and the change for the header mounting (straight down) instead of straight out the back and the jumper on the front may be an issue. Personally I'd prefer the jumper on the back (and will move it there on the modules I just bought) since it will interfere with how I've been mounting the sensor. The addition of the mounting holes is a welcome addition.

For how I am using the modules I like the addition of the LED for feedback. However there may be projects where you want to detect motion but not attract attention to the PIR sensor and having the LED may prevent it from being hidden. I think it would be good to have a jumper on the back to enable/disable the LED or even show in the docs if a trace can be cut to disable it.

So, to summarize I think all the changes are good with the exception of the jumper on the front (which I would move to the back). Also, find an easy way that the LED could be disabled (if someone wants too) and add that to the docs. Since the board is already done just a note pointing out what trace could be cut would be fine. I'll keep the LED active on mine (I'm a fan of LEDs) but I do think some projects may be better without them.

Robert
  • Jessica UelmenJessica Uelmen Posts: 490
    edited 2011-05-04 11:26
    Hi Robert,

Thanks for your feedback. From this point forward, we will actually only be selling Rev B.

We've actually gotten a couple of requests for the jumper to be moved to the back, so I will see what I can do to change that moving forward. I'll also see what I can do about disabling the LED.

Thanks again,
    Jessica
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2011-05-04 11:45
    Just selling the new module is fine for me. I like the improvements and think it was a good move. Moving the jumper in the back would be cool and if you're taking votes mine would be to put in in the back like the old module was.

I'm fine with the LED and hope it stays but if you can find a mod to disable it for those that don't want it that will help.

Robert
  • william chanwilliam chan Posts: 1,326
    edited 2011-05-04 17:48
    Thanks Jessica, the current consumption figures are a relief!
    I would also like to be able to disable the LED to save power.
  • jtanejajtaneja Posts: 1
    edited 2011-08-16 11:28
    Hi -

We also were surprised to find the red LEDs (there are two of them flanking the sensing element) on the new revision of the 555-28027. It's critical for our application that the sensor remains dark, and it also hurts our energy budget. Another vote to put a jumper on for the LEDs.

As for fixing this, there is a small trace on the top of the board (lens side) that extends to one side of the Fresnel lens. It peeks out just beyond the lens and then goes to a via - if you cut that trace just before the via, the LEDs do not turn on but as far as I can tell the sensor still works. I called Parallax tech support and they verified that this solution should be sufficient and should not alter any other functionality.
  • revnullrevnull Posts: 1
    edited 2012-04-05 21:32
    Was there ever a solution to disable the LEDs on the rev.b PIR?

Thanks!
  • al1970al1970 Posts: 64
    edited 2012-04-07 23:14
    Hi Jessica:

Do you know what the shortest on time you can set it for? In other words, how long before you can rearm it again so that it can see a warm object?

Thanks,
    Al