Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
A Versatile Propeller SD Wave Player — Parallax Forums

A Versatile Propeller SD Wave Player

nglordinglordi Posts: 114
edited 2011-04-25 08:38 in Robotics
The propeller has proven to be an excellent platform for playing WAV files, as demonstrated by software modules written by Rayman and Kye (see OBEX), as well as the AP+6 Audio Player developed by EFX-TEK. While the EFX-TEK player can be used as a general purpose wave player, it was principally designed for PROP builders. Its 20 watt amplifiers require a greater power input than need for a portable player. In my thread on using Arduino shields on the Gadget Gangster Propeller Platform, I described a wave player based on the Adafruit Wave Shield with an added control system. However, that shield was not really required for the propeller to function as a wave player. I have designed a shield specific to the propeller platform which includes the controls necessary to make the propeller platform a versatile wave player. The player output can be connected to earphones, powered speakers, or hi-fi systems to produce near CD-quality sound.

The attached image shows the shield (a micro-sd card is included on the propeller platform). The 5 push buttons enable NEXT/SKIP, PAUSE, PLAY, FAST FORWARD, and RESTART functions. The two rotary switches allow user selection of individual pieces or playlists for playing. An optional LCD module may be connected to the board. Design details and player operation are discussed in the attached user manual.

The software (see attached archive) is based on Kwabena Agyeman's SD20_FatEngine and PCM2_DACEngine objects. The PlayWavFile method was modified to include only those elements needed by the controller. The DACEngine uses the WAV file header to determine the number of channels, bps, and sample rate of the piece being played. Player requirements, including the indexing system used to access the wave files, are detailed in the manual.

nickL

Comments

• KyeKye Posts: 2,200
    edited 2011-04-25 08:38
    Nice job mate! Hope you enjoyed yourself!