Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller based acoustic distance sensor in the works – Features? — Parallax Forums

Propeller based acoustic distance sensor in the works – Features?

Ed TEd T Posts: 50
edited 2011-10-01 11:11 in Accessories
Update: This product is now available at Gadget Gangster!!

I am in the midst of designing an acoustic based distance sensor product around the Propeller and am looking for some suggestions on features that users would find valuable. The features I am currently incorporating are:

I2C interface
Ping compatible interface (Gnd, +5V, Sig)
Propclip connection
Header connection for additional Prop I/O
Acoustic output drive of +/- 20V, +/-10V, +10V, software selectable
Higher drive voltage gives significant enhancement to range
Analog output of acoustic return signals, software selectable
Open source code
3 Cogs available for user applications
Weatherproof version
Same board size and mounting as the Parallax Ping)))

Potential I2C commands
Set mode: (1) Detect first echo or (2) Measure echo over range, (3) average
Trigger measurement
Set min and max distance
Set echo trigger level and time profile for mode 1
Read echo peak values and times for mode 2
Set # of measurements to average over for mode 3
Set Drive voltage
Turn off “high” voltage circuit
Set # of 40 kHz cycles of output drive
Set various signal processing parameters

Attached are a couple of photos of the first prototype. The electrolytic caps will be replaced with ceramic SMD.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
- Ed
1006 x 746 - 86K
1005 x 747 - 70K

Comments

• Kevin CookKevin Cook Posts: 159
    edited 2011-04-26 08:55
    Nice design and looks like you have added a lot of great features! How about a RGB LED to indicate send and receive feedback, getting one color for sending and one color for receiving?
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2011-04-26 11:20
    Ed, please let us know if we can be of assistance. I suggest keeping it form-factor compatible with the current SX-based Ping))) sensor so it fits within the confines of the many brackets and mounts we offer. If you could also maintain the current Ping))) communication protocol as well as the I2C interface I think it would be useful for those who don't want to network but just need a simple "get up and go" pulse interface. Designed properly, and sold at the right price, this product has tremendous sales potential.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax Inc.
  • Ed TEd T Posts: 50
    edited 2011-04-26 18:07
    @Kevin - Thanks for the feedback. An RGB LED is an interesting idea, especially with it being open source there could be a lot of different uses for it by users.

@Ken - Thanks for the offer of support! Yes, the goal of the design is to have the Ping form factor and make it the same easy to use interface as the Ping with the option to use the I2C to access additional features and options.

- Ed
  • Ed TEd T Posts: 50
    edited 2011-10-01 11:11
    This is now available as a product at Gadget Gangster: http://www.gadgetgangster.com/find-a-project/56?projectnum=138