Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Mounting the Professional Development Board to a substrate? — Parallax Forums

Mounting the Professional Development Board to a substrate?

xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
edited 2011-04-26 18:42 in BASIC Stamp
I am building a development environment for my PPDB with a dedicated supply and a whole lot of breadboard space for auxilliary circuit development. I would like to hard-mount my PPDB to the aluminum work surface I am building this all on, but I am hesitant to drill any holes through any area of the PPDB because I do not know if the board is multilayer or just two layer (top & bottom), and everything at the likely drill points is masked by a ground plane.

Can anyone tell me if the board can be safely drilled where there are no visible runs (ie., ground plane surfaces both sides) or if there are sandwiched runs beneath?

Thanks!

Dave

Comments

• ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2011-04-22 11:57
    Why not just use double-sided foam tape to mount it and forgo any permanent drilling of the board?
  • xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2011-04-23 17:11
    I could do that, but I do want to be able to detach the board easily if I want just that board (for more mobile times, such as demo'ing something). I also thought about velcro... but I'd rather use some nice hardware standoffs with the pinch-release posts. Just a personal preference.

Someone on here must know about whether there are sandwiched runs on this item or not...

Happy Easter to all on here... and if you don't celebrate Easter, happy Sunday! :-)

Dave
  • GranzGranz Posts: 179
    edited 2011-04-26 16:48
    Drill eight holes into your aluminum base (two for each side of the PPDB's PCB, each about a half-an-inch or so away from each corner), next use a standoff with two plastic washers, one above the PPDB and one below the PPDB and run a small bolt through each standoff and the aluminum base to hold every thing together.

Would that do what you are wanting?
  • xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2011-04-26 18:42
    Actually, that might work just fine! Thanks...

Dave
  • vaclav_salvaclav_sal Posts: 451
    edited 2011-04-26 18:42
    If you have enough room use old hard drive guides with suitable angle bracket or find some PCB cages with circuit board guides.
    Than you could slide you board in and out.
    Maybe you can even buy new ones, I did not look.