Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Pir sensor problem — Parallax Forums

Pir sensor problem

ferzooferzoo Posts: 4
edited 2011-04-27 23:22 in Accessories
Hi all.
I have met a very interesting problem.The pir sensor does fake triggers some case a between 1 minutes and some cases 5-10minutes only.I supplied 3 xAA 1.2V battery it's more than 3,6V.I have waited more than warm up time(10-60sec) 10-30minutes,but there is fake triggers sometimes.I have put difference room (toilet,bathroom ..etc)and I have isolated from another electrostatic field,but not good result.I think the problem is one smd capacitor..maybe .Does anybody met this problem?I can't buy a new one because my distributor promise 4weeks ago.I must to make it at next week.
Regards Ferzoo

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2011-04-21 06:07
    Has anyone had this problem?
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?130353-PIR-Sensor-detects-motion-in-empty-room

I'll bet a month's pay that Parallax followed through, but after that the topic went dustbin.

I don't know, because I've never read any official claim to the effect, one way or the other, that these PIR guys are, or are supposed to be, rock-solid, go/no-go, models of perfection.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?130240-PIR-Sensor-output-remains-always-high
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?130464-PIR-sensor-unstable

People will come to the site and whine and complain, but they never write back when they find the real problem or when the problem is resolved (emphasis above.)
  • ferzooferzoo Posts: 4
    edited 2011-04-21 11:14
    Thank you Allen.
    I have read these threads but I can't solve my problem with these questions and answers.You are very clever that you answer me but I think this is nothing.Or do you thing you has helpd me with this answer?
    I must to get the prototyp to my customer at next week and must be a quickly to solve it.Theres is nothing on the parallax datasheet ! This is no datasheet only ads.I must to draw the circuit to understand the works.It's a 2-3(or more) workhour!!! Is it secret? What is it in the datasheet? Nothing.
    I don't understand what 's conception of parallax.
    There is nothing words about output impedance. nothing!!!!Because when I put wake pull-up or down (with 1-10k) will instable work!!! What ???I have worked with appcon microchip hoperf and I have already accostumed datasheet of these factory .It was first parallax item.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2011-04-21 11:26
    Here is the link to the data sheet:

http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/audiovis/555-28027-PIRsensor-v1.4.pdf

It is a simple data sheet as the PIR is a simple device.

If you have an immediate need, I would suggest you contact Parallax directly, or you distributor. While they do monitor the forums often, I don't believe it is every day.
    ferzoo wrote: »
    Thank you Allen.
    I have read these threads but I can't solve my problem with these questions and answers.You are very clever that you answer me but I think this is nothing.Or do you thing you has helpd me with this answer?
    I must to get the prototyp to my customer at next week and must be a quickly to solve it.Theres is nothing on the parallax datasheet ! This is no datasheet only ads.I must to draw the circuit to understand the works.It's a 2-3(or more) workhour!!! Is it secret? What is it in the datasheet? Nothing.
    I don't understand what 's conception of parallax.
    There is nothing words about output impedance. nothing!!!!Because when I put wake pull-up or down (with 1-10k) will instable work!!! What ???I have worked with appcon microchip hoperf and I have already accostumed datasheet of these factory .It was first parallax item.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2011-04-21 12:02
    Hey all, I should let you know that we've just finished a major (1 year, start to finish) revision on the PIR. They're already in stock and we have about 7196 units available for sale. These 7196 units are both the old and new revision. Over the next day our inventory warehouse manager is separating the old revision from new. The old ones will be given away as part of a promotion this weekend.

And the new version is much better - a total redesign from the ground up. It has a short/long range setting, a more accurate circuit, and it can drive a relay directly without a microcontroller. You should be able to order the new sensor by Monday or so.

We'll hear an announcement shortly, I'm sure.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax Inc.
    edited 2011-04-21 12:09
    Thank you Ken!
    Ok It's the first useful info and I will buy from new version ,but I must to solve it now very quickly!
    regards Ferzoo
    edited 2011-04-21 12:10
    Oh, and ferzoo, I realize this is a low-cost sensor but you'd probably do anything to have a new one in your hands. Drop me an e-mail kgracey@parallax.com and I'll put a few in a USPS package to you - I bet you could have it in our hands by the end of next week. It's okay that you're in Hungary, as it's the home of one of our favorite and highly-productive distributors, ChipCad.

K
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2011-04-21 12:17
    ferzoo,
    What's your deal? There's been a lot of fuss and bother about nothing as regards this PIR. You asked about others, I presented links, but in none of them was any solution or resolution divulged.
    The way people carry on sometimes, it's like they spent their life's savings on the thing and the whole of civilisation hangs in the balance.
    Save all that drama for the theatre.
    edited 2011-04-21 12:26
    PJ Allen wrote: »
    Has anyone had this problem?
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?130353-PIR-Sensor-detects-motion-in-empty-room

I'll bet a month's pay that Parallax followed through, but after that the topic went dustbin.

Thanks for putting your money on us, PJ Allen. Indeed, you get to keep your month's pay because we did follow through. We made a new design that is now in our warehouse in Rocklin, CA.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2011-04-21 13:00
    I know chipcad is very reliable distributor .I have never problem with them.

and I have checked Vdd side and I think the problem is diode at Vdd because the motion detect ic(btss) voltage spec is: 3~5 V but the parallax put protector diode at vdd side. I use 3,6V but there is -0,7V at diode. I think it's very low
    I will try to short off this dioda in pir sensor and check it tomorrow.
    K
  • bridger deschampsbridger deschamps Posts: 17
    edited 2011-04-27 23:22
    Try running it off its normal running voltage and that is a regulated 5 volts.