Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
DuoGFX Using two props to generate 256x192x8bit bitmap with sprites ( Vid included ) — Parallax Forums

DuoGFX Using two props to generate 256x192x8bit bitmap with sprites ( Vid included )

BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
edited 2011-05-02 02:10 in Propeller 1
Hi All,
I'm sorry for the severe lack of presence here on the forum, but I've been through a mad busy patch with not only work, but looking for work, then work again, no rest for the wicked! anyway, things are beginning to settle again a little :D phew ( I know, I shouldn't tempt fate saying that though haha )
But anyway, thought I'd let you all know, I may have been gone, but not forgot the prop, missed it like crazy! and to show my appreciation for this little gem of a chip, I'm working together with Coley on a little surprise comeback so to speak!
All will be revealed in a week or two :D

Cheers,
Baggers.

PS, god you guys have been busy whilst I've been gone! shed loads to read and catch up on!

Edited to add video to this post :)

Comments

• simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2011-04-20 14:33
    Baggers wrote: »
    PS, god you guys have been busy whilst I've been gone! shed loads to read and catch up on!
    They bloomin' have - I got back on here a week or so ago and I'm still reading! Welcome back matey :-)
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2011-04-20 14:42
    @Baggers

Welcome back! Good to hear that things are going well and in the right direction your way...

Looking forward to what you have in store! Bagger's spin is always a treat. :)

OBC
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2011-04-20 14:45
    Thanks Simon ;) and OBC :)
    lets just say it'll be interesting haha
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,108
    edited 2011-04-20 14:47
    Baggers, now now, that's enough.....

You promised! :lol:
    edited 2011-04-20 14:51
    Coley wrote: »
    Baggers, now now, that's enough.....

You promised! :lol:

ok ok, shock and awe :D
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2011-04-20 14:53
    Does this mean we *might* see you release PropGFX in some form or fashion?

OBC
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2011-04-20 14:53
    Welcome back!

I missed seeing great demos from you.

Regards,

Bill
    Hi All,
    I'm sorry for the severe lack of presence here on the forum, but I've been through a mad busy patch with not only work, but looking for work, then work again, no rest for the wicked! anyway, things are beginning to settle again a little :D phew ( I know, I shouldn't tempt fate saying that though haha )
    But anyway, thought I'd let you all know, I may have been gone, but not forgot the prop, missed it like crazy! and to show my appreciation for this little gem of a chip, I'm working together with Coley on a little surprise comeback so to speak!
    All will be revealed in a week or two :D

Cheers,
    Baggers.

edited 2011-04-20 15:08
    @Jeff, PropGFX is a different matter, I will persuade Jim to release the code in some form or another.
    It's been a long time coming but it will come.

@Baggers, enough teasing now, lets just get on with it! :cool:
  • trodosstrodoss Posts: 577
    edited 2011-04-20 15:15
    @Baggers,
    Great to hear that things are settling down for you.
    Looking forward to what you might have in the works. Here's hoping it is HOH ;) (Ok, so maybe that is just wishful thinking on my part).

--trodoss
    edited 2011-04-21 00:45
    Thanks Bill and trodoss, this next demo will be a good one.
    Not HOH yet trodoss, but I will get back to that after this!

Jim.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2011-04-21 05:07
    Welcome home, Baggers. We're glad to have you back with the whole family for some home-cooked meals and some good Prop discussion. Since you've come this far you might as well get a ticket all the way to UPEW. I'd be glad to have Uncle Tom pick you up at the airport, or I'll do it myself.

I think you are returning in time for some excitement, too. Your sabbatical for work was well-timed. We're making some positive progress towards Propeller 2 and Parallax is going through a bit transformation for the Propeller - more on that to follow.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2011-04-21 06:23
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Welcome home, Baggers. We're glad to have you back with the whole family for some home-cooked meals and some good Prop discussion. Since you've come this far you might as well get a ticket all the way to UPEW. I'd be glad to have Uncle Tom pick you up at the airport, or I'll do it myself.

I think you are returning in time for some excitement, too. Your sabbatical for work was well-timed. We're making some positive progress towards Propeller 2 and Parallax is going through a bit transformation for the Propeller - more on that to follow.

Ken Gracey

Hi Ken, thanks for the warm welcome back :D As for UPEW, if I could afford the £6k to fly there I would, I've been wanting to come see you guys for a few years now, but can't justify the price tag, even when my brother-in-law was in Cali, we priced up tickets again, and that was just the flight only! Otherwise I'd jump at the chance to come to UPEW! and see it live! plus obviously the pilgrimage to Parallax :D

As for the timing of my return, seems pretty good! haha, interesting times ahead! look forward on the "more on that to follow"!
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2011-04-21 06:46
    trodoss wrote: »
    Here's hoping it is HOH ;) (Ok, so maybe that is just wishful thinking on my part).

Ummm... Sorry to be so dense but what does "HOH" stand for?
    edited 2011-04-21 06:56
    David Betz wrote: »
    Ummm... Sorry to be so dense but what does "HOH" stand for?

Head over Heels, I meant to finish that off after Eindhoven, but so many many interruptions got in the way.
    I may release it after this as is, so people can make their own HOH clones.
    or just use LOTS of sprites :)
    edited 2011-04-21 07:06
    Head over Heels, I meant to finish that off after Eindhoven, but so many many interruptions got in the way.
    I may release it after this as is, so people can make their own HOH clones.
    or just use LOTS of sprites :)

Thanks for the explanation. I'm not much of a gamer myself and hadn't heard of it but the pictures I found in a Google search look interesting!

I'm more interested in the Hybrid X3 board!
  • Ahle2Ahle2 Posts: 1,178
    edited 2011-04-21 08:11
    Welcome back Jim !! :)

I am eager to see what you have brought back from your journey "on the other side".

/Ahle2
    edited 2011-04-21 08:21
    @David Betz

I need to find my source files for eagle and then I'll post them.
    If enough people are interested I can get some PCB's manufactured, if I remember I re-did the layout making it a lot smaller..... was two years ago though lol

Coley
    edited 2011-04-21 08:27
    Coley wrote: »
    @David Betz

I need to find my source files for eagle and then I'll post them.
    If enough people are interested I can get some PCB's manufactured, if I remember I re-did the layout making it a lot smaller..... was two years ago though lol

Coley
    If you revive the Hybrid X3 I'll take a few PCBs. Looks like it's all through-hole so it should be pretty easy to assemble. Any chance any of the parts you used are no longer available?
    edited 2011-04-21 08:36
    Well I can always revisit the design if enough are interested so I wouldn't think there would be much of a problem, all of it was sourced from Digikey.
    edited 2011-04-21 08:45
    Ahle2 wrote: »
    Welcome back Jim !! :)

I am eager to see what you have brought back from your journey "on the other side".

/Ahle2

Thanks Ahle2 :D
    I have many out of box ideas! time away can sometimes (like this time) be a blessing, although most times it's a hinderance lol :D
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-04-21 09:31
    Baggers,

Welcome back to the fold! You always come up with cool stuff. I can't wait so see what's lurking in the wings this time!

-Phil
    edited 2011-04-21 11:47
    Cheers Phil :D
    Yeah I'm quite excited about this one! :D but that's all I can say for the mo!
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2011-04-22 17:04
    Nice to have you back Jim.
    edited 2011-04-23 00:58
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    Nice to have you back Jim.

Thanks Cluso99 ;D it been far too long! Prop programming is soooooo much fun!
    edited 2011-04-23 10:46
    Just to excite a little more!
    I've got the proof of concept working :D
    So looking forward to shock and awe!!
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2011-04-23 11:05
    Waiting with hopeful, fingers crossed anticipation.
    edited 2011-04-23 13:41
    jazzed wrote: »
    Waiting with hopeful, fingers crossed anticipation.

Trust me Jazzed, it'll be well worth the wait!
  • Cole LoganCole Logan Posts: 196
    edited 2011-04-24 19:01
    I can't wait to see what you got cooked up this time. You and Coley always have amazing things
    edited 2011-04-25 09:29
    Cole Logan wrote: »
    I can't wait to see what you got cooked up this time. You and Coley always have amazing things

Thanks Cole Logan :) yeah, this is gonna be sweet :D I'm quite excited about it, besides being happy having some prop time which is always great!
    edited 2011-05-01 02:00
    Hi guys,
    Thought I'd give you an update, on what I've been working on.
    I was looking at how everyone has been trying to increase the 8bit resolutions for prop, and all solutions have been trying with either SRAM or SDRAM.
    And decided there needs to be another way, as filling the vram seems to be an issue that people are having.
    So wanted to try and come up with a solution.
    My thinking behind this method is the fact that the Prop's main power, is the fact it has 8 cogs, and all can access hub-ram.
    So I started wondering if two props could do it.
    The answer, well yes, they can!
    But there are a few issues along the way, yes, they are deterministic, and both running off the same clock, so should be perfectly in sync, but no.
    the Bootup is internal RC timing, so not as stable as I'd like it to be.
    So I'm close, and I've got a few ideas for re-syncing once they're both up and running. the issue is the hub-ram round robin needs re-syncing.
    Anyway, here's a quick demo of where it's at.