Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Is anyone working with the WIZ5300 chip or the WIZ830 Module? — Parallax Forums

Is anyone working with the WIZ5300 chip or the WIZ830 Module?

jstjohnzjstjohnz Posts: 91
edited 2011-04-21 21:42 in Accessories
I'm interested in the W5300 chip (as opposed to the W5100 that's used in the Spinneret), and am wondering if anyone here has done any work as far as modifying the drivers to work with that chip?

It allows for up to 8 sockets instead of 4, but it is parallel only, no SPI mode like the 5100 has.
It appears that it's going to be a fair amount of work to re-do the drivers, so just wondering if anyone else is working with this chip.

Comments

• DynamoBenDynamoBen Posts: 366
    edited 2011-04-20 15:44
    jstjohnz wrote: »
    I'm interested in the W5300 chip (as opposed to the W5100 that's used in the Spinneret), and am wondering if anyone here has done any work as far as modifying the drivers to work with that chip?

It allows for up to 8 sockets instead of 4, but it is parallel only, no SPI mode like the 5100 has.
    It appears that it's going to be a fair amount of work to re-do the drivers, so just wondering if anyone else is working with this chip.

While I'm not a fan of duplicate posts you may want to post in the general Prop forum. I suspect this is limited to just Spinneret folks, you may get better traffic there.
  • jstjohnzjstjohnz Posts: 91
    edited 2011-04-21 21:42
    OK, I may try that. I think I'm making some pretty good progress on re-writing the 5100 indirect driver to work with the 5300 chip. I should have some boards in hand tomorrow to actually try my code on. Probably will be a friggin nightmare debugging. The bad news is that there's quite a few differences between the 2 chips, the good news is that the 5300 looks like it's easier to deal with. Instead of the convoluted mess of reading/writing the socket buffer memory that the 5100 has, with the 5300 you write and read from a fifo register, so no concerns about buffer size or wrapping around.

My goal is to do virtually the entire driver in ASM.

Still the issue of i/o pins. I think I could get it down to 12 pins if I latch the address lines externally, still 7 more than the serial 5100.