Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
need help in building a robot simulator — Parallax Forums

need help in building a robot simulator

kevin_dilkevin_dil Posts: 1
edited 2011-04-18 20:13 in Robotics
i'm new to robotics but have some experience in programming. i have to build a basic robot simulator as a project. i would appreciate any helpful directions towards building a simulator from scratch. need to simulate robot motion(2 wheels) and sensor input.

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2011-04-15 21:00
    Those are very general parameters. Could you be more specific?
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2011-04-16 17:01
    kevin_dil wrote: »
    i'm new to robotics but have some experience in programming. i have to build a basic robot simulator as a project. i would appreciate any helpful directions towards building a simulator from scratch. need to simulate robot motion(2 wheels) and sensor input.

There is an interactive development environment for the prop called propforth http://code.google.com/p/propforth/.
    One can assign one cog as an application to control a device (motor, sensor) and another cog to simulate a device (one cog for motor, one cog for sensor).
    Being interactive, the development cycle iterations can be very fast. (Design, code, test, experiment, repeat)

There is an initial learning curve for forth, it passes parameters directly on the stack, very simple and fast, but weird at first if you think in basic or C. After that its all cake.

Cheers!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-04-18 06:47
    Of course, for an authentic REAL WORLD robot simulator, every precision measurement and input needs to be multiplied by a completely random factor:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?130199-Hints-About-My-New-Project-(Video)&p=992876#post992876
  • Dr.ZaiusDr.Zaius Posts: 16
    edited 2011-04-18 20:13
    I’m not sure how exactly from scratch you want to start your project….You might want to try (Microsoft Robotics Studio) go to the Microsoft web page and search there for the link if you want or use this link http://www.microsoft.com/robotics/ ……why…because it’s a neat package; You can use any of the .Net languages or its Visual Programming Language (VPL) to code faster then tweak it manually with the .Net languages; for the code, its comes with CCR and DSS….CCR lets you make Multithreaded apps faster, and the DSS gives you the Internet capabilities with SOAP or HTML, and its Robot Simulation Package lets you use one the example robots like an Arm or the Lego NTX….they have a Boe – Bot simulation but they left it as a project I found the Simulation files just need to convert them with AutoCAD to the appropriate files (I’m Busy at the time :tongue:), or you can design a robot on you own in AutoCAD………don’t think this is a walk in the park software it can be complex you got to know what your doing or want to learn to use it…..the simulation software comes with a physics engine so if you move some obstacle it will move or fall or something, you can put your code to control the robot or your custom robot or real hardware; they used to have direct file access for the Boe – Bot but some how it got lost on the New Versions of MSRDS, but the files are still there to make your own connections….again you got to know what your doing or want to learn how to use the software……..Happy Programming !!!:thumb: