Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 RPM Reading — Parallax Forums

BS2 RPM Reading

ZouLouZouLou Posts: 6
edited 2011-04-15 14:43 in BASIC Stamp
Hi everyone, I am new here and pretty new to the basic stamp. I am working on a school project. I am wanted to measure the shaft rpm on a small scale wind turbine. I have a incremental capacitive encoder (CUI AMT103). I have been searching the internet and the forum but have found little information that I found helpful on this specific topic. I apologize if this question has been pounded to death before. I am a regular on a few forums and that can get annoying. Thank you very much for helping a new guy. Any information or help is extremely appreciated.

-Kyle

Comments

• stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2011-04-15 06:56
    HI Kyle,

You can probably use either the COUNT or PULSIN instruction to check how fast the encoder is spinning. See the Helpfile in the programming software.

You'll want to select a relatively low pulse per revolution number, depending on the shaft speed you're measuring.

Cheers,
  • ZouLouZouLou Posts: 6
    edited 2011-04-15 08:50
    Thank you very much for the reply. The max RPM is going to about 600 RPM. What is a safe sample speed per minute or per second for a Basic Stamp?
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-04-15 13:20
    600 RPM is pretty slow, just 10 revs/sec. You could have hundreds of pulses per rev at that speed, if you like. You can adjust your COUNT/sampling interval to give the resolution you need.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-04-15 14:43
    Per the manual, COUNT is good up to ~125 kHz on a vanilla BS2, assuming a 50% duty cycle. So feel free to have up to 12,500 PPR. Enjoy!