Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SMS Text from Basic Stamp to Phone — Parallax Forums

SMS Text from Basic Stamp to Phone

jknight291jknight291 Posts: 9
edited 2011-04-14 16:34 in Accessories
I'm trying to incorporate an SMS text from my BS2 (I have a BOE-Bot) module to be sent to my (or any) cell phone into a project I am working on.

This is a brand new concept to me and I essentially have no idea on how to do this. I have been searching around, however, and have found several modules that would allow me to implement a SIM card to send the text. My issue, however, is that I do not know if these modules are compatible with the BS2.

For instance:
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10497

EDIT: I see now that I need the module and the breakout board?

Here is the appropriate module for that board:
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10138

The ADH8066 Breakout is in my price range and seems reasonable: I essentially need a text sent when the program calls for it be sent. However, I am basically clueless about whether or not this is compatible with what I have. And I am not sure on how to implement it if it is.

Any help would be great!

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-04-12 09:46
    For a start, read the datasheet for the module. It uses some odd supply voltages and logic levels. In any event, it's not directly compatible with a Stamp, its 5V supply voltage and logic levels. You'd need an appropriate voltage regulator and logic level translators. Frankly, if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't be messing with this module.

If you haven't already, you might look at SparkFun's IOIO. It's not readily available yet, but looks very promising for this sort of thing.
  • jknight291jknight291 Posts: 9
    edited 2011-04-12 09:48
    Okay, I definitely won't, then.

Do you suggest any other modules? Is this concept completely out of my league?

EDIT: For some reason, I did not see your link to SparkFun's IOIO earlier when I replied.

The problem is that I need this for a design project I am working on for school. It's a ridiculous little freshman engineering class that requires an innovative "smart" product using the Board of Education and BS2. The project is due in 3-4 weeks I believe and we just got our idea approved yesterday.

Part of our design is to *hopefully* send a text message to a phone when a PIR sensor is activated. I was hoping to find an easy "plug and play" solution, but it's not looking like it. My instructor told me that a student a few quarters ago was able to implement a way to send a text message, he had just forgotten how.

Anyway, if you know of anything that might work, I'd really appreciate it. I've spent the majority of the day searching and not coming up with anything life changing.

Thanks.
    edited 2011-04-12 12:23
    I've not used it, but the GM862 Evaluation Kit might work for you. You can start with it attached to (and powered by) your PC for experimentation, then unsolder the Rx/Tx and power jumpers to attach it to your Stamp. The Board has its own regulator that accepts 5V (make sure you have enough current available!). This article shows how to interface this module to an Arduino. The same technique with different resistor values can be used to interface the module to a Stamp (3.3V vs. 5V).
    edited 2011-04-12 12:36
    That would be perfect... if it weren't $275. That's a little ambitious for a freshman engineering design project, you know?

Our other option would be to have an email alert. Would this be any more plausible?
    edited 2011-04-12 13:29
    The problem is getting the wireless link. Without a base station, you're limited to a cell phone module or a WiFi module. Parallax has a WiFi module under development, probably a couple of months away from shipping that would be great for this. There are a variety of embedded WiFi modules on the market, but, unless you get some suggestions from someone else, you're on your own. I'm sure some of them would work with a Stamp. The Spinneret and the YBox2 can provide the Ethernet link and you could use an Ethernet to WiFi bridge, but they're power hogs and you're running off AA batteries.

A cell phone module would be good for this, but they're usually designed for odd voltages and need some work to interface to a 5V processor. You'd have an easier time if you switched to something like a SpinStamp which has a Propeller on-board and runs at 3.3V signal levels ... compatible with a lot of 4V-based cell phone modules.
  • TubularTubular Posts: 4,646
    edited 2011-04-12 14:32
    I've got a possible solution http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?129293-Telit-GSM-GPRS-breakout-for-Propeller-proto-board

While it's designed more for the prop than stamp, it has a spot for a MAX3232 level shifter which should work with the stamp I believe. If not I have another variant which uses the ADG3304 level shifter.

Jay Kickliter also had some solutions for talking to Motorola cellphones with a Prop in the prop forum. Some of those phones were below $50, not sure if they are still available
  • darrenervinedarrenervine Posts: 7
    edited 2011-04-13 10:56
    Check this out on instructables.com http://www.instructables.com/id/Motorbike-Phone-Alarm/
    It is essentially a way to take a relay signal to close a circuit and press the speed dial code for a pre-programmed number on a re-purposed cell phone.
    I am looking to do the same as you,...I have a motion activated game camera I built with a PIR and canon camera in an enclosure. I would now like to receive a signal of some sort to indicate that a picture was taken, because it is in a remote area. I was trying the cellphone idea with Nokia's and got it to work via text message (resend button activated) but I don't have the phone on a cellular network and don't want to pay for it....so I am looking for other suggestions...
    Any ideas on how to get a non-line of sight signal from about 1.5 miles (2km) away? I have a relay that currently closes the shutter that I can use..
    I am a bit techie but not an electronic engineer..
    HTH

Thanks
    edited 2011-04-13 12:57
    Thanks for all of the options, but I've learned that implementing any GSM cellular module with the BOE is not within the scope of the course I am in.

However, the tutorial that darrenervine linked to is exactly what I need that is within the scope of my class/design project, so I am going to try and implement that (modified, of course) with the PIR sensors and the Board of Education.

I can't help with your problem, though. I am not an electrical engineer, either (don't ask me why I have to deal with all of this, hah!).

Anyway, thanks so much for all the help and suggestions. I'll try to post how it goes!
    edited 2011-04-14 07:30
    No problem, hope it goes well.
    Let me know what you come up with. I started this thread in the Wireless Forum
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?131030-How-to-send-wireless-signal-from-remote-wildlife-camera-2-miles-away but I have not received any ideas yet...
    I am in a the centre of a metropolis (Toronto, Ontario) so I need to ensure that I am not sending signals illegally.

Thanks for any help and hope yours works out..

Cheers
    Darren
  • achilles03achilles03 Posts: 247
    edited 2011-04-14 13:02
    I'm interested in doing a similar project. Do most cell phones use pinouts on the connector for RX and TX, or can/do they use the mic jack too (like the Motorola c168i)?

Do most QWERTY-type GSM cell phones respond to AT commands from an input? Or is that rare?

Thanks for any insight!
    Dave
    edited 2011-04-14 13:20
    Not really sure on that stuff, kinda outside my scope.
    The phones would make for a good TX of text message but it needs to be active on a cell network.
    I am trying to find a way to do it for free...

Is yours similar to mine or to jknight291?