Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
rf stamp to laptop — Parallax Forums

rf stamp to laptop

cplattcplatt Posts: 55
edited 2011-04-11 22:11 in BASIC Stamp
I would like an inexpensive way to send data received from an accelerometer via my basic stamp to my laptop.

I see Parallax has board receivers for sale but I would need some type of ethernet wireless transmitter that I could receive with my laptop, correct?

thank you for helping

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2011-04-11 20:02
    Depending on the data rate and distance you could use xbee or 433mhz transceivers.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2011-04-11 20:03
    A USB MCU like the PIC18F2550 could be interfaced to a transceiver module. I'd probably use the Nordic Semiconductor nRF24L01+ transceiver chips.
  • cplattcplatt Posts: 55
    edited 2011-04-11 21:17
    433 transceiver looks good from the stamp but can the laptop pick up that signal with it's wireless board?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-04-11 21:18
    If you want a simple, straightforward, reliable communications link, I'd suggest xBee using the adapters that Parallax sells, a plain one for the Stamp side and the USB interfaced one for the PC side. Use the PC configuration utility program to configure both of them, then take one and put in in the plain adapter.

Both the xBee and 433MHz transceivers require a unit at each end of the link. If you want to only supply one end, you probably should use a Bluetooth adapter at the Stamp end which should be able to talk to the laptop's built-in Bluetooth. Sometime soon, Parallax will be selling a WiFi (wireless Ethernet) adapter, but it's not available yet. Timeframe is a couple of months at most.
  • cplattcplatt Posts: 55
    edited 2011-04-11 21:43
    thanks Mike! Great help!!! I need outdoors about 300 feet line of sight. What pair of xBees would be best? I will order the two adapters and the great looking manual too.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-04-11 22:11
    I'd get two of the PRO units, either with a chip antenna or with a wire antenna. The lower power units are rated for 300ft outdoors, but that would be under ideal conditions. I'd rather have the extra punch of the higher power units. If your distance is significantly less than 300ft (say 200ft line of sight), you could try the lower power units.

The manual is nice. If you'd be happy with a downloaded PDF, you can save the money for the nice paper manual and download the manual from Parallax's webstore page.