Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Motor questions — Parallax Forums

Motor questions

PyrozPyroz Posts: 3
edited 2011-04-10 16:18 in Robotics
I am new to the world of autonomous robotics and I am diving head first into a project of my own device rather than sticking to a kit.

With this project I am using this motor.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUZA6&P=FR

With other 380 motors I have found the max RPM to be around 50,000. I have found no specs on the amps or the volts. I am planning on using 4 of these in my project.

My questions (so far) are:

1) Which chip do I use to control the motor?
2) Do I need multiple chips to control all 4 motors?
3) Do I need an ESC for these motors as well as a Parallax chip? If so, what kind?

Thanks,
Pyroz

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2011-04-09 20:19
    Without specs I would say get one and test it. you will need something between the chip and the motor but there are different ways you could do that.
  • PyrozPyroz Posts: 3
    edited 2011-04-09 21:18
    So upon further research, basic hobby motors one can pick up at Radioshack can suit my needs just as well. Those motors run at slower RPM but an amperage of 1A @ 3V.

Suggestions now?
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-04-09 21:40
    Gearmotor.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2011-04-10 10:09
    You haven't really told us how you want to use the motors. Are they to drive wheels? If so, as erco suggests, you'll want a motor with a gear box to slow it down and increase the torque.

One of the reasons hobby servos are commonly used in robots is because they come with a gear box and electronics to control the motor.
  • PyrozPyroz Posts: 3
    edited 2011-04-10 12:34
    I am trying to make a variation on a quadrocopter. The motors will be spinning the propellers.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2011-04-10 16:18
    If you do Google search on Quad or Hex Copter, you will find 99% or using brushless motors.

Do some research on all the sites to see what they are using. We may have 4 or 5 users here, but being a Microprocessor site, it may not be the best place to get info on motors.

That said, check out this thread here on QuadCopters in the Propeller Forum. Motors are being tested .:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?120839-Quad-Hexa-Copter-using-Propeller-Gyros-Accelerometers-Compass-Pressure-amp-GP&highlight=Quad+Copter.
    Pyroz wrote: »
    I am trying to make a variation on a quadrocopter. The motors will be spinning the propellers.