Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wiring help for a robotics newbie? — Parallax Forums

Wiring help for a robotics newbie?

Gumby1108Gumby1108 Posts: 6
edited 2011-04-06 18:34 in Robotics
Hi! I'm new to boe-bots, and am undertaking a (relatively simple) project where I intend to have four standard servos operating the controls to a guitar hero guitar so that it plays the song "Here Comes the Sun" from the Beatles RockBand. I would really appreciate some advice on how to wire them to the board, as the ports provided only fit the continuous rotation servos that I have. I have only the most basic understanding that the school-provided manual can provide, and I'd really like a more experienced opinion before I fry my electronics. Thanks!

Comments

• Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2011-04-06 18:04
    I would really appreciate some advice on how to wire them to the board, as the ports provided only fit the continuous rotation servos that I have
    Continuous rotation servos and standard servos have the same connections.

First, educate yourself on how servos work. Try a Google search. Parallax has a ton of resources too. See the Boe-Bot manual.
    (relatively simple) project where I intend to have four standard servos operating the controls to a guitar hero guitar so that it plays the song "Here Comes the Sun" from the Beatles RockBand
    My kid has Rock Band. This is NOT a simple project. How will you time the notes on the flying by on the TV? It would be much easier to play Taps on a real guitar since all of the notes are open except one.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2011-04-06 18:15
    Regular and continuous rotation servos both use the same three pin header. So if you want to use them instead of the boe-bot servos, just unplug the continuous rotation ones and plug them in making sure to match the ground (usually black) and signal lines (usually white or yellow) with the header.

However, it is fairly easy to bread board a header for a servo. Put the three pin header into the bread board and run a jumper from Vbatt to the center pin, Gnd to one side, and signal to the other. Just plug the servo into the header matching the wires as I mentioned above.
  • Gumby1108Gumby1108 Posts: 6
    edited 2011-04-06 18:26
    No, I mean they (the servos) are of an older model than the boe-bot kit I am using. They're extras from other projects, but I'm 99.99% sure they're compatible.

And hey...
    It's on easy mode and I've got the layout/timing/rig all set up. Humor me.
    edited 2011-04-06 18:29
    thanks a bundle, I didn't want to mess that up haha
    edited 2011-04-06 18:34
    @Mike
    Mike G wrote: »
    My kid has Rock Band. This is NOT a simple project. How will you time the notes on the flying by on the TV? It would be much easier to play Taps on a real guitar since all of the notes are open except one.

oh, the song has a constant meter and it's a simple beats per second thing. and the syncopation is pretty minimal :) if theres one thing I know its my music haha