Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
MAWD - ARLISS Team NH - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

MAWD - ARLISS Team NH

Comments

• Mark KiblerMark Kibler Posts: 546
    edited 2011-04-08 15:09
    BENCH TEST results of MAWD GET v.1: Servo connected to P14, MAWD turned on in data record mode.

1) BOE measures and records temperature, humidity, CO2 (mV), elapsed time, and "0" feet altitude.

2) Servo "jumps" 1/16 turn clockwise when BOE is powered up.

3) Servo moves 1/4 turn counterclockwise between each flash of the red light on the Data Logger. The red light signals data transfer approximately every second.

A. See attached screen shot.

B. See attached data from flash drive/ Data Logger

Off to test the same program in the vacuum chamber now.

MK
  • Dylan LandryDylan Landry Posts: 235
    edited 2011-04-08 15:23
    Why don't we just add a DEBUG statement inside of the Movement subroutine to see if it is the subroutine that is getting triggered? If it does not debug the statement, then we know that the subroutine is not being triggered. Also, i don't believe going back to past programs will help... I took a flight ready program from last year, (one that we would use at the launchpad) and added our changes. The only difference between the program we just tested and a launch ready one from last year are the new subroutines and variables... Thats it. No other changes whatsoever.
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2011-04-08 15:35
    Dylan,
    OK by me. That'd tell if it's getting sent to Movement prematurely as I put out there in #50.

Mark,
    You've noted the servo kick coincides with the thumbdrive. Intriguing.

All,
    What's the power source, a battery or a wall-pack?
    edited 2011-04-08 15:36
    VACUUM TEST results of MAWD GET v.1: Servo connected to P14, MAWD turned on in data record mode.

1) BOE measures and records temperature, humidity, CO2 (mV), elapsed time, and maximum (pressure) altitude of 4,873 feet.

2) Servo still "jumps" 1/16 turn clockwise when BOE is powered up.

3) Servo still moves 1/4 turn counterclockwise between each flash of the red light on the Data Logger.

A. No attached screen shot. Serial cable not connected to the BOE in the vacuum chamber.

B. See attached data from flash drive/ Data Logger

Standing by,

Mark
    edited 2011-04-08 15:38
    You've noted the servo kick coincides with the thumbdrive. Intriguing.

Yes, the servo kick does coincide with the thumbdrive, but BETWEEN thumbdrive data input, about a second apart.

What's the power source, a battery or a wall-pack?

Power source is a rechargeable RC battery. Fully charged.

Dylan and PJ, do you guys want to tweak "MAWD GET v.1" and then post the updated program as 'MAWD GET v.2"? Then I'll run it again?

Standing (sitting) by, eating dessert,

MK
    edited 2011-04-08 15:41
    Yes, I'd like to see how/whether it's actually getting into 'Movement' prematurely. Adding a DEBUG to tell would be helpful.

Dylan,
    You're the software-meister, we're awaiting your ACK/NAK.
    edited 2011-04-08 15:51
    Here's the v1 with a DEBUG in the Movement subroutine.
    edited 2011-04-08 16:08
    Well if the servo is moving each time the the data-logger writes on the flashdrive then the servo must be triggered each LOOP through the main program.
    About the DEBUG,
    If we are adding a debug then we must also attach the 9-pin connector through the bell jar again, will that be a problem?
    edited 2011-04-08 16:12
    If only you guys had a flat/ribbon cable adapter.
    edited 2011-04-08 16:17
    Can we somehow debug it to the flashdrive? Or will that be too much work? We could use one pin to have a LED go off instead of a debug line.
    edited 2011-04-08 16:25
    I don't know the flashdrive situation.
    Here's the manual DEBUGIN program but I commented out Checkliftoff and Liftoff.

>> Has this servo miscue been an issue only since the zerocounter/thousandcounter?

Now I'm wondering if the thumbdrive is driving the voltage down, what with all the other sensors and all.

PE - If the servo twitches with no servo routine, then there's something to ponder.
    edited 2011-04-08 16:28
    How hard would it be to comment out the thumbdrive access (probably a major pain)?

?? - Are you guys on dial-up? Maybe push your F5 (refresh) button once in a while.
    edited 2011-04-08 16:43
    Just for clarification, what exactly what is the thumbdrive?
    edited 2011-04-08 16:45
    Mark Kibler posted: "Yes, the servo kick does coincide with the thumbdrive, but BETWEEN thumbdrive data input, about a second apart."
    edited 2011-04-08 16:46
    thumbdrive = flashdrive
    vinculum, etc?
    edited 2011-04-08 16:50
    Well the thumb drive has never taken a lot of power. I don't think it would be a problem now.
    Also this servo issue has only happened now, never before.
    edited 2011-04-08 16:56
    All that's going on, which has not before, is the addition of the zerocounter and thousandcounter routines, and neither of those tweak the output pins.

But the servo twitch occurs after each flash/thumbdrive access, as noted by Mark (and he's off-line.)
    edited 2011-04-08 16:59
    So then we should just take out the subroutines and make the servo, lets say... Run every third sample or something? That way we can tell if it is the subroutines or not.
    Sorry if you have already suggested that. I was confused and needed some clarification.
    edited 2011-04-08 17:07
    You mean as I was 'advocating' in #72.
    Yes, right.

I don't know if there even has to be a servo subroutine at all, so long as the pin14 is an output.
    If connecting the servo results in twitching, and there's no call to CHeckliftof or Liftoff (they're commented out), then that's an indication of something amiss (odd, bad.)
    edited 2011-04-08 17:12
    I have mawdsimulation3 running on the bench here and instead of a DEBUG it goes to a servo routine, but the servo only moves when it's supposed to. (a gentle F-Y-I)
    edited 2011-04-08 17:14
    Well eventually there will have to be a servo subroutine to get our ASP-Bot moving once it hits the ground of course.
    I don't think the servo is bad. My servo's that are the same brand and model also move a tiny bit when I plug them in for the first time or turn on the BoE. But then again I can't tell from here since I do not have the ASP-Bot.
    edited 2011-04-08 17:16
    PJ Allen wrote: »
    Here's the v1 with a DEBUG in the Movement subroutine.

RESULTS: MAWD GET v1p5_PJ.bse - Bench tested

1) BOE measures and records all data parameters correctly. Altitude was correctly reported as '0'. MAWD was not on.

2) The servo rotates for about 1 second right between each "flash" of the Data Logger (when the data is measured and recorded.) Data Logger records, servo moves, Data Logger records, servo moves, etc. This is the same thing it was doing in Dylan's program except the servo runs longer in PJ's v 1.5 program.

See attached screen shot. The dishes are done. Standing by.

Mark
    :cool:
    edited 2011-04-08 17:17
    Well PJ, if the controlled altitude versions are working for you, as they did for me, then there must be a crucial difference between the two different MAWD_get subroutines that we are missing.
    edited 2011-04-08 17:17
    If only you guys had a flat/ribbon cable adapter.

What does that do??

MK
    edited 2011-04-08 17:19
    It is just a adapter for the 9-pin wire that is extremely flat that we could fit under the bell jar to use DEBUGS and still be able to simulate altitude.
    edited 2011-04-08 17:19
    Hold on...
    The one that you just tested, did it have any pulsout commands?
    edited 2011-04-08 17:20
    If not then we know that something else is triggering it... Like a section of program outside the movement subroutine.
    edited 2011-04-08 17:21
    There's a PULSOUT routine, but it is preceded by a DEBUG "Movn"
    Did "Movn" ever print on the DEBUG window
    edited 2011-04-08 17:24
    I don't know the flashdrive situation.
    Here's the manual DEBUGIN program but I commented out Checkliftoff and Liftoff.

>> Has this servo miscue been an issue only since the zerocounter/thousandcounter?

Now I'm wondering if the thumbdrive is driving the voltage down, what with all the other sensors and all.

PE - If the servo twitches with no servo routine, then there's something to ponder.

I don't think it's a power/ voltage problem. We're using one of the same flash drives we've used all along. Flash drive = thumb drive.

Attached are the results of the MAWD_DEBUGIN_only_v1.bse bench test. No servo movement but the same as last night: enter 5 digits, moves on to next data entry, enter 5 digits, repeat.

See screen shot:

MK
    edited 2011-04-08 17:26
    There's a PULSOUT routine, but it is preceded by a DEBUG "Movn"
    Did "Movn" ever print on the DEBUG window

I believe 'movn' appeared on the GUI but let me run it again to confirm. It does show "movn" on the first screen shot above.

Hold on........