Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
XBee Pro to PIC18f87j11 — Parallax Forums

XBee Pro to PIC18f87j11

bestofalisbestofalis Posts: 1
edited 2011-04-08 19:16 in Accessories
Hi Guys,

I am having a hard time interfacing the XBee-Pro module to my PIC. I have the right connections but I dont see anything on the X-CTU terminal. I am using a usb explorer board from adafruit, which is made by parallax, to hook it up to the computer and the other XBee pro is connected to the PIC18 using RX,TX,GND and VCC pins. I am using PICdem development board from digi for the microcontroller. I checked the TX from PIC, it is giving me 1.29V but its not showing anything when its connected to RX of XBee in the terminal. I already have the baud rate setup for the microcontroller. Please help me, I have been working on this for a long time but can't get it to work. Any help will be appreciated. thanks

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2011-04-07 20:20
    I am using a usb explorer board from adafruit, which is made by parallax
    Wrong on both counts, Not sold by Adafruit, not made by Parallax. Using the explorer and X-ctu can you see and program the xbees?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-04-07 21:15
    Sorry, Franklin. The USB xBee Adapter Board is indeed a Parallax product and is sold by Adafruit. As Franklin asked, can you access the xBee device on the adapter board from the PC and can you configure it using the xBee configuration program (X-CTU)? That's an important 1st step.

You have to configure both xBees using the adapter board and X-CTU. Each one has an address and you need to configure them to look for another xBee with the other one's address. It's been a while since I went through this with my xBees and I don't have my documentation handy, but it's pretty straightforward with the X-CTU program.

Once both xBees are configured, they should come up when powered just like they were a wired connection. If you haven't already, download the xBee documentation from Parallax's webstore page for the xBees. They show how they should be configured for use with a pair of Basic Stamps or Propellers. It's really the same as for a PIC.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2011-04-08 19:16
    The xbee explorer USB board is made by Sparkfun, the USB xbee adapter board is made by Parallax and the xbee adapter kit is made by Adafruit. Too many products with similar names. I'm not complaining though....;)