Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
S2 Work/Test Stand — Parallax Forums

S2 Work/Test Stand

Tony B.Tony B. Posts: 356
edited 2011-04-06 06:39 in Robotics
As promised I have attached photos of my work/test stand for the S2. Couldn't be simpler, but very useful. I let my son do most of the work and let him help with designing it. He thought we didn't need anything to keep it from turning on the stand.

I am a little concerned that doing wheel run test on the stand may not work since the stall sensor is on the rear wheel and will not be running during run test. My have to make a work/test stand that is a rolling type that makes the rear wheel spin when the drive wheels do. OK I've already started working on it.

I'd be glad to share dimensions or answer any questions you might have.

Tony

Edit: 4-4-2011 Added building instructions in PDF
640 x 480 - 44K
640 x 480 - 58K
640 x 480 - 53K
640 x 480 - 56K

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-04-03 18:34
    Tony,

Congrats to you and your son! That's a very nice-lookng stand. It's obvious that pride in workmanship runs in the family. :)

BTW (if it's any help), as long as both wheels are running at the same speed, but in opposite directions, the idler wheel is effectively ignored in the stall sensor computation.

-Phil
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2011-04-03 18:53
    Nice work B. boys! Looks great. Let the programming begin...
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2011-04-03 19:03
    That's much nicer looking than my stand (a laptop power brick).
  • Tony B.Tony B. Posts: 356
    edited 2011-04-04 06:26
    Sorry about the blurry pictures. Didn't realize it till I looked at them through the forum.

Thanks guys for the positive feedback. I read through the complete help file that comes with the GUI software. It noted "that you should hold the robot or put it up on something because you wouldn't want the robot to roll of the table when testing code" So true So true! That's why I build work/test stands.

Phil - If I am testing code that has both wheels moving in the same direction the tail wheel stall detector will be an issue, correct?

Tony
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,240
    edited 2011-04-04 07:22
    Nice Tony B. --- I'd be interested in building one if you post the dimensions and drawings.

Paul
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-04-04 08:44
    Tony B. wrote:
    If I am testing code that has both wheels moving in the same direction the tail wheel stall detector will be an issue, correct?
    Yes, but only if your program checks for stalls and does something different in response when they occur.

-Phil
    edited 2011-04-04 11:30
    Paul - I'll post the info you requested this evening. I'm going to draw it up to make it handy to use in the shop and for others that may want to build one.

Phil - Thanks. I thought the checking of the stall sensor was a part of the all the movement code. If I'd been using the gray matter I could have looked at the code.

Tony
    edited 2011-04-04 13:28
    Added building instructions to the first post in thread.

Decided I didn't need to draw up a simple project like this, but if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Tony
  • ajwardajward Posts: 1,130
    edited 2011-04-06 04:59
    Martin_H wrote: »
    That's much nicer looking than my stand (a laptop power brick).

Nice! I use a coffee cup for my Boe Bot! :lol:

Amanda
    edited 2011-04-06 06:39
    Amanda - here is the link to the post about my simple BOE BOT stand. Might be a bit more stable than a coffee cup.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?127826-Super-Simple-BOE-BOT-Work-Test-Stand

Tony