Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hey Whit, I won a S2 — Parallax Forums

Hey Whit, I won a S2

Tony B.Tony B. Posts: 356
edited 2011-04-09 17:25 in Robotics
I just got home for from CIRC's Bot Brawl 11 in Peoria, IL where I won an S2!!! Now I can join in all the fun everyone else is having. My son is very excited too. I look forward to many hours of fun with him.

Thanks to Parallax and all the other sponsors for their generous donation to help make it a great event. I would also like to give a big thank you to the CIRC members and volunteers for a fun event.

I know you want to ask Whit if I have a test stand design yet, and the answer is yes I do. Hope to build and post it tomorrow.

Tony

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-04-02 15:53
    Congrats! The only thing better than a shiny new S2 is a FREE shiny new S2. Did you win a robot contest to get it, or from a drawing?
  • Tony B.Tony B. Posts: 356
    edited 2011-04-02 16:04
    I won if from a drawing. Next year I will win from the contest.
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2011-04-02 18:13
    Great news Tony! Enjoy - you will love the S2 and studying the default program and the S2 object. Waiting to see that stand!

Be sure to check out Jessica's S2 Hokey Pokey video tutorial on the blog section of the the forums. You son will love it - heck! I love it.
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,240
    edited 2011-04-02 21:17
    Cool Tony! Luck is with you.
    edited 2011-04-03 18:23
    Yes! The force is strong with this one!

Have been playing with the S2 today. What a blast! Don't know why I waited so long.
    edited 2011-04-03 19:05
    Glad you are enjoying it.

Attached are a couple of fun things. They might be intros into Spin. They are modified versions of the Star program example from the S2 Object Help.

Phil's example plot ordered pairs (x,y). Mine are variations on that theme. StarModified plots a true 5 pointed star. StarModified again plots an open 5 pointed star.

The need to be in a file with the S2 Object so they can find the S2 Object to compile properly. Then you can upload them to EEPROM. Have fun!
    edited 2011-04-04 06:07
    Whit - Thanks for the code. We'll try it out when my son gets home from school. I'm also going to get those white board markers you had in another thread. I think we will be doing a lot of drawing.

Thought Jessica's S2 Hokey Pokey video was really good.

Tony
    edited 2011-04-09 09:59
    Whit, the star code worked great! Had alot of fun with the Hokey Pokey.

Do you ever have contest with the scribblers and students you work with? I'm thinking of ways I could challenge my son and daughter to help them learn to program with a goal in mind.

Tony
    edited 2011-04-09 17:25
    My standard with the old Scribbler was to make one of their initials with the GUI. This could be fun with the S2 in the GUI and a breeze for more advanced students in Spin following Jessica's video here - http://forums.parallax.com/entry.php?171-Scribble-Your-Name-with-the-S2-Robot

Doing it with the GUI makes students think about the path the robot needs to scribble. Curves and lengths fo straights depend on speed and running time (which they figure by trail and error). Turns and how long you turn are much the same.

I always had them start with "Charge" - draw the initial - and end with "TaDa"

As you noted, Phil's idea and the pens I found for a white board work great! Have fun.